Well, it appears that either my amp or tuner has coughed its guts. It was working ok. Then, the tuner started throwing feedback noise and not picking up stations. Figured it was the antenna. Installed a new antenna and thought all was great. Then it did it again. Went from great radio to nothing but noise. When the radio and intercom are off I can hear a small bit of white noise from the speakers. Also, I do not hear the CB through the dash speakers when I turn the squelch off. I see RX on the CB screen. I think one unit or the other is getting warmed up then cutting out. I don't have headsets yet. So, don't know if the intercom is working. All buttons except AM/FM work. That one is stuck in FM. I cleaned the upper display by taking it apart and using a good contact cleaner. I have to Ohm out the buttons yet. So, any suggestions would be helpful. Pinwall Cycle has the amp and tuner off of a working bike for $45.00 each and shipping. Figure I have to split the LH fairing to get to the radio.

JB

I know you been working on it, but I would double check all the connectors. Also there are a couple cables from the Rt side that cross over to the left side, have you checked for damage to any of these cables.

Be sure to check the connections at the Antenna signal splitter, where the Cable from Ant splits to the CB and Radio.

In the fuse holder , located, just fwd of battery, and its right, there are Two fuse's that feed power to the Audio system, check these.

Where the radio panel Plug connects to the top of the Amp, check the Pull apart plug carefully for bent pins.

The plug at the CB unit, clean with CRC 2-26, contact cleaner. also tug on all the wires , make sure they are crimped tight into the male and female sections of the plug.

Carefully clean all the DIN plugs that go into top of the AMP unit.

The cable from the Amp Unit that goes to the rear of the Bike, to the passenger unit. Follow this cable inch by inch, looking for any signs of damage, all the way into the Pass control unit.

Also, find the wire harness that goes up to the Left handle bar control unit, follow this cable inch by inch also, looking for damage.

Schematic, shows that this cable has a pull apart plug between the Remote, and the Amp unit. Also a pull apart plug going to the passenger control.

See service manual, schematic page 8-41 and 42. you will see these plugs. I'm not sure exactly where they are located. Again, clean all plugs with CRC 2-26 electrical contact cleaner.

Anyway, I'm thinking damaged wireing, someplace.

I checked all the wires and connectors. Very clean and tight. Used som CRC Electronic cleaner on eac to be sure. Pulled the fron and rear control cables. No difference. Checked cassette cable-seems good. Pulled CB and plugged harness into bottom. CB now comes through the upper speakers-------DUHH!! Did not help the radio. CB is now matched to antenna. New Wilson antenna working good. Remember I separated the antenna. I am now going to check the radio and amplifier for problems. It did it again on the clear then gone action. So I figure it cooled off and then worked. Thanks for the tips on all the cables. I twisted and yanked then connected and disconnected at all spots. Will report back later. Gotta finish the Saturday ride map and clean up the tools.

JB

Time to remove the radio controller and ohm out each of the switches both off and on. You may find that a switch or two do not go to zero ohms when depressed. You may also find a little corrosion on the board or under the switches. Good luck finding new switches and if you do, let me know where...

I know you been working on it, but I would double check all the connectors. Also there are a couple cables from the Rt side that cross over to the left side, have you checked for damage to any of these cables.

Be sure to check the connections at the Antenna signal splitter, where the Cable from Ant splits to the CB and Radio. .

Yeah, I was going to make that suggestion too. On 83#1 I always had marginal performance from the system. Speakers cutting in and out, no audio at all then suddenly it's on, no power, etc. Last week I swapped out the whole audio system, and while the dash was open I seperated all the connectors and amp plugs, and sprayed them with that electrical cleaner stuff GeorgeS had recommended way back when. I'd swapped other units in the past without any improvement.. Lemme tell ya, it now runs and sounds great. Amazing what clean connectors will do for the audio.:thumbsup2:

JB, I have an extra radio and amp that use to work. Haven't been installed in a bike for God knows how long. If you are going to head north this weekend, and I can meet you guys somewhere, I'll bring it along. You are welcome to the pieces at no cost. Call me on my cell if you want to discuss.

Herb

You don't have to split the fairing, JB,just pull the left panel off and it's all right there.

As I told you, my cb doesn't come thru the speakers either, although it works perfectly in my helmet!?!?! :confused24: I know that all the plugs are in place and have dielectric grease on them.

this happened on mine a couple years ago.

I had removed the left Panel, when Reinstalling it, one of the Pins go t bent as the panel was being replaced. Don't remember exactly which one, but anyway be very carefull when replacing the panel.

Its easy to bend those pins , The Plug Under the Radio Control Panel.

I called Pinwall up in Ohio and bought a good used set for $90.00. Hopefully this does the trick. I chased every wire and connector and found no problems. I pulled the units and laid them on the bench and opened them up. The foam on the inside is deteriorated but the components look good. It has to be on for about 5 minutes before the tuner cuts out. The noise level doesn't drop so the amp is ok. I found a loose connector on the CB. It now plays through the speakers. Whe I have time I will see if I can chase the problem on the tuner board. I am working on a bench setup to test this stuff. With riding season on it will be a back burner project. I will talk to MasterGuns on his setup. I will try and use it for testing. At least then we can get a tech article started on the 1st Gen. radios. Maybe I can figure out a way to do a few repairs.

JB