IGNORED

battery

10spd

my bike would not start everything was dead, then it started. rode about 35 miles. & started to act up. missing sputtering no power, then it smoothed out. 5 miles later did the same thing again. when we stopped for dinner, took the body work off to check the battery. both cables had come loose tightened them up bike ran great. also my cruise was not working now it is. any ideas as to why?

Hey Greg,

Your battery is an integral part of the electric/charging system on your MKII VR! The stator outputs electric current constantly, and the regulator/rectifier converts and sends this voltage to your battery for recharging, and to the various systems that need electric power to run the motorcycle like the ignition system, lights, etc. When your battery terminals are loose, or disconnected, there is no place for the current from the stator to go except to the R/R which converts the current into HEAT! Overheating of the R/R can cause the R/R to fail. (or the stator for that matter)

Adding a "lock washer" under the head of those "cheesy" little bolts on the battery terminals is good insurance against this happening again. I can't stress enough how important it is to have a properly functioning battery in your motorcycle. If your battery will NOT hold a charge, or has a dead cell, it puts extra strain on the stator, and R/R

which over time will take these units out. I personally check my battery connections monthly during the riding season. On a side note, if you haven't found, disconnected, cleaned, and lubed the connections for the stator, and R/R, then I suggest you do so. You may well see some corrosion or melting of the connection itself as a result of the loose battery cables. Because like you Greg, my VR is over 25 years old, I try to be proactive in regards to the electric systems on my motorcycle. I basically started at one end of the bike and disconnected EVERY connector, cleaned and lubed it, and moved on to the next one. This is a daunting task, but one that has kept my 87' and 89' VR's functioning properly for over 10 years without issue. I personally prefer to "tinker" with my bikes in the comfort of my garage rather than having them "break down" while I am out on the road. The proactive approach works best for me. :thumbsup2:

Earl

On any " older " motorcycle, its a good idea about once every 5 years or so. to take about two days, and go over " Every " nut and bolt on the entire motorcycle.

Also its a very good idea, to disconnect and clean, ( with electrical contact cleaner )

" Every " electrical connector of the wireing harness, nose to tail, and port to starboard of the machine.

Things come " loose " and connectors get corroded ! :detective: