IGNORED

1992 Yamaha Virago 1100

Pam

Good point, I get the impression that this guy isn't a bike guy. Said he got the bike in an estate and stored it outside. I am thinking it might be in gear, I don't know why he says it is seized but time will tell.

I had a '99 Virago 1100 and it was a great bike. The only issues I'm aware of with the Virago's were early 80's and that was a charging issue I believe.

If it is truly seized...consider what a motor would cost you. I sold my "mint" '99 two years ago for $3700 and that was for a bike that was in show room condition.

I had a '96 xv750. Bike is known for weak stator and rectifiers but engines are mostly stout and fairly simple to work on. Carb tuning is usually the bigest issue as they are air cooled and the rear cylinder runs HOT.

I'd stay away from a fully siezed bike as they usuaaly are not worth the time/money to repair. These bikes fall into the usual "inexpensivd jap cruiser" market of the 80's and early 90's and can be had running for under $2k in very good shape.

Frank,

I have a 92 Virago 1100 and I think it is the cats a$$ bike.

Only real issue I had with mine (besides running out of gas in Yellowstone) was a blown fork seal and excessive rusting in the fuel tank.

The blown fork seal was my own fault (sometimes that "S" in the middle of the forehead does stand for stupid).

The rusted fuel tank was taken care of when we sealed the tank with an epoxy liner.

Depending on what is seized and why, I think it would be a great winter project bike and if you get it running I think you will really enjoy riding it.

Oh... I also installed forward controls on mine which changed out the whole riding configuration. For the better I might add.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys here is what I wound up with. a 1992 Yamaha Virago, 23000 km The engine is not seized or at least I was able to free it with no effort, Carbs are in dire need of attention because they will not even open despite the cable trying to turn the butterflies. All the lights work. Only thing missing is the right side side cover.

Well if the butterfly valves in the carb are stuck, then so are the expensive slides. To unstick the butterflys, spray WD40 or PB Blaster at them and soak for several hours, then try to rotate the cable actuator at the carbs by finger pressure to open them.

The carbs will have to come out for further work, like soaking the slides for several days to free them up. Breaking a slide or tearing a diaphragm will cost big $$$. The rest of the carb internals should be OK, and simple carb spray will clean them up, unless they've had water standing inside them for years, then they are likely toast.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

NICE!! If it were me I would find some way to fill those carbs full of cleaner reguardless of which way you had to go with them. I would use BerryMan's Chem Tech because its a little stronger than Sea-Foam. Open drains and try to get some to run thru them then fill them and leave sit til you figure out slides. Spraying slides with something to loosen them? I would love to bring that one back.

I did open the drains and flushed out a bunch of old gas that would not even burn in a fire. I filled them with spray carb cleaner because that was all I had. Going to try to get the carbs off and deal them on a bench. Bought a lift the other day so I won't be sitting on the floor or bend over. Any one know what make of carbs these are? Either way the only way I see to really do anything with these is to get them onto a bench, unless some one knows how to get at the sliders with them on the bike? I am very familuar with ski doo carbs, being as Mr. Owl said from 40 miles north of the tree line

No Mask in the deal, also came with a covor and leather bags, I think he ws baseing his his idea that it was seized on someone else's say so with out doing a little looking himself.

I did open the drains and flushed out a bunch of old gas that would not even burn in a fire. I filled them with spray carb cleaner because that was all I had. Going to try to get the carbs off and deal them on a bench. Bought a lift the other day so I won't be sitting on the floor or bend over. Any one know what make of carbs these are? Either way the only way I see to really do anything with these is to get them onto a bench, unless some one knows how to get at the sliders with them on the bike? I am very familuar with ski doo carbs, being as Mr. Owl said from 40 miles north of the tree line

No Mask in the deal, also came with a covor and leather bags, I think he ws baseing his his idea that it was seized on someone else's say so with out doing a little looking himself.

They should be Mikuda (or however you spell it)

:15_8_211[1]:

Mikuni carbs. Pronounced 'mee koo nee'.

BTW.....if the gas was so old it wouldn't burn, maybe it was water. The 22 year old gas in my barn find burned just fine, so I filtered it and fed it to my lawn mower, and it ran fine.

Best to drain and examine the tank for rust. Likely to have so much rust that it will compromise a fuel filter and the carbs after you get it running. This is certain if the bike had been stored outside, even in an unheated garage.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Frank,

I was not able to print off the carb section of the manual directly to the computer. But I was able to print off a hard copy.

Now, I can either scan them into the computer and send them as an attachment to your E-mail. Or, I can just drop them into the mail for you. Your call......

Russell Scan and email would be great and I can print here,

Dan As Russell says I am from north of the tree line, so I recognize those ebay carbs from a twin cylinder snow mobile. They are so easy to deal with, I just hope those virago carbs are easy. I am betting most of the battle will be getting them onto the bench