IGNORED

Nice article about the Cherohala Skyway

Freebird

I was on it last year in April. Me and my buddy took the Dragon (129) heading North-West, 72, 360, Cherohala Skyway (165), back to 143. It was fantastic. Take a look at the picture with me on my Venture and my buddy on his BMW.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/maps/dragonloop.gif

The views are fantastic, the history is rich, and the sweepers are a lot of fun! Big and wide for the most part, but quite a few 'surprises' in there too! I've made that 'loop' twice that Ferrantelli posted, once each direction, and there aren't too many rides like it. :cool10:

Looking forward to riding it again later this spring....a friend and I are doing an Iron Butt out of Eau Claire WI to Pigeon Forge TN in mid-May or mid-June. Working it out so we have the one day run down, two days to play in the area, and then two days to get home; including a stop at the Corvette Musuem in Bowling Green.

I've ridden most the roads in the area there on either a Concours or a RSV; my friend has never been there and I'm looking forward to showing him around. I'm planning taking the FJR and he'll be on his RSV...we made an agreement already...I'll show him on the map where I'll stop and wait for him!

Curt

Have you been to the Corvette museum before? I was there a few years ago and really enjoyed it. They have a good short movie there on the history of the Corvette.

No. I've been by it quite a few times, even stayed in a motel on the east side of the freeway just across from it, but I've never visited the museum....I was afraid I'd drool to much! Guess I'll just suck it up this time and go.

I'll try to say this softly, Don, so it won't hurt too bad, but often in the summer, friends and I will ride out of the north Atlanta area up 68 to Telico plains, across the Cherohola to Deals gap for lunch and down 129 and home though the Nantahala Gorge! Great day ride from here! Maybe you neeed to coma to the Atl and hang with us a few days and we'll do some great riding. The guest room is always here!

This is the only classic bike I drool over.

1940 CROCKERlp

http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/images/stories/bikes/1940crocker.jpg

If you like Crockers, Joe, then you're in for a treat if Dale (the owner) is there. If he doesn't just up and do it, ask him to do a burn out for you. He'll light up the back wheel on his Crocker inside the museum and keep it burning almost the entire length of the building! And thats right down between rows of millions of dollars worth of clasic motorcycles!!! It's amazing to watch.

Hey gang,

Just last summer, I purchased my 06 RSV from "Cookster" down in Dothan, Alabama. I made my way back to New York - riding every long roadway I could. What a ride!! The Cherohala to The Blue Ridge to Skyline Drive. I have never seen our United States looking so beautiful. This year, Arkansas for Star Days. Hope to see you all there.

Been down there the last 2 years. The only place I have ever gone twice (on an overnight trip). There are so many great places to ride here in North America - but riding in the Smokeys is just something special.

I think I will be back to ride it again in October.

The snow might be melted by then. Supposed to get another 4 to 8 inches tomorrow. GRRRRRRRR!!

RR