Guest rooster522

Guest rooster522

when i hit the button for the horn the one up front doesnt sound like its activating all the way. at night i can see my headlight dimming everytime i hit the horn. the one on the right bottom seems to do fine any helo?

• 11 months later...

Spray the button with some CRC26 electrical contact cleaner (Lowes) and check your connections down at the horn itself. Reverse the wiring from one horn to the other to check the horns, or Ohm them out with a meter.

OR, just get rid of them, go to Harbor Freight or Autozone and buy a Bad Boyz airhorn and REALLY let them know you're coming!

Most likley, the Horn itself is bad. Your horns are wired as follows.

12V to each Horn, From the " Signal Fuse " to the + side of Horn , its the Br ( brown wire )

The, other wire labled, " P " on diagram ( I think it Purple ) then goes to the Horn Button, and from the Button switch, other side of switch goes to a Ground.

(( Yamaha, wired the horns so all the Current has to flow thru the Horn Button Switch-- This is Very Lousy Electrical engineering!! They should have installed a Relay ))

Most likley one of your Horns, is Bad, and drawing to much current, causeing a Voltage Drop, on the Entire Electrical System.

Time for a New Set of Horns. ( Best to Install a Relay ) for the new horns.

Wire it up, so the Button Controls the Relay,

And the Relay main Contacts, Carry Current to The horns. ( Install a 15 Amp fuse ) in line from Voltage source, to the Relay. then to the New horns.

Use, #16 Wire, to carry the current to the Horns.

Also: See the 2nd Gen maintenance Library, this site, there are a couple articals there concerning Horn Modificaitons and wireing.

That is an air horn. you might have debris in the compressor.

First, disconnect the connector and press the horn button to see if the headlamp is not dimming.... if it is still dimming, you probably have a short in the wire leading to the horn, if not check the horn.

run a jumper to from the horn + side to the battery.

Connect a wire to the - side of the battery and then touch it to the horn... if you get a loud honk, then it is not the horn, it is the wireing leading to the horn.

If you don't get a good honk, but hear a buzz, like a stalled electric motor you have debris lodged in the compressor.

Clean the compressor with some WD-40 like spray.....

Take the horns off, then take the chrome back off of the horn. Loosen the small nut and screw. Temporarily reconnect the horns and turn the screw. (Use ear protection?). Adjust to loudest sound. Tighten nut and reinstall horns. Venture horns are louder than most older bike horns.

Dan are pics necessary?

• 3 weeks later...

For the third time my horns weren't loud. I went directly to a good ground from each one and they were loud, So a stock electrical ground was the problem. Took horn switch apart for 2nd time, went to a good ground, they were loud. Found a plastic electrical connector behind the headlight. Took it apart, used brake cleaner (works great as a contact cleaner) on both ends, tightened the copper connectors, and finally they are really loud. Over 110 db. :happy65:

Electrical diagrams really help. Count the number of wires and the wire colors to identify connectors.