IGNORED

To loud

just got a new to me royal star year 2000 mm edition 27,000 miles..the previous owner drilled the pipes completely out, its to loud after a 2,400 mile ride and it pops upon deceleration ...I think I don't have enough back pressure ...mileage was not to good 36 mpg avg. 2 up full loaded any ideas? any one have a set of stock mufflers ?

If they did a clean drill on the outside, you can get some metal tabs and set in. The popping sounds like an air leak where the mufflers connect or it's running rich. You can also look for RK take offs without cats that are not drilled, just have to make an adapter for the back.

You mentioned it didn't get good mileage, if you were riding 2 up and loaded 36mpg isn't that bad. Lots of conditions cause differed fuel mileage, wind, riding speed, quality of gasoline ect....

The pipes, unless they are totally on wrong, shouldn't cause popping on decel. When's the last time the carbs were synchronized? as far as back pressure, there is a lot of crap (read baffling) inside the stock pipes that drilling the holes more than likely didn't do anything to them. Folks ride with lots of different mufflers that are way more free flowing with zero issues.

I would be looking at the nipples on the intake manifolds and the vacuum lines to the AIS systems to see if one is off or not sealing properly. If you want a set of stock pipes, I have a very good virgin set, PM me if your interested.

I have a 2007 venture midnight, typically I get 45 to 50mpg. I ride very differently than the way most on this forum will tell you to ride. most would say I shift way too early. But then they say they get their best milage by riding in 4th most of the time and not shifting into 5th until around 65+ mph, I do it about 40-45mph I can always shift down if I need the performance.

On a trip riding 2 up from Plattsburgh NY to Billings Montana I got anywhere from 45 to 50 mpg riding Highway speeds all the way. there is one fly in the ointment, as we got to the high plains a mile or so above sea level, my MPG dropped to the low 30mpgs. when I got back down to a couple hundred feet above sea level everything was back to the normal mpg. so if you are riding high altitudes expect significantly lower mpg.

I had a 2001(I think) Royalstar TC with BuB pipes sounded nice but would pop on long deceleration runs or going down hill under compression. I had the bike rejected suggested by the pipe manufacturer and the popping was gone.

Al

With lower restriction type muffs I think a little poping is going to happen. My RK muff have some on decell. As for milage thats about par. I just got of a 3200+ mile trip and got from 33 to 40. Mph @ 80 was crap 34 maybe.Sower speeds better milage under like 70. My milage 2 up is around 36 with gear.