IGNORED

HID Bulb Repair

Flyinfool

I have had a HID Bi-Xenon headlight for 3 years now.

Last week the bulb stopped switching between Hi and Lo beams.

Being the cheapskate that I am, instead of just ordering a new bulb, I went into disassembly mode.

What I found is that there is a coil of wire mounted to the back of the bulb and a magnet mounted in the rear of the bulb housing with a spring in the center.

The way it works is for Hi beam, the coil is energized and this pulls the bulb to the rear. For Lo beam the coil is turned off and the spring pushes the bulb forward. This gives the 2 different focal points for the 2 beams.

What happened to mine is the glue holding the magnet let go and the spring plus electromagnet pulled the magnet forward rendering the bulb unable to switch between hi and lo.

I glued the magnet back into place and it works just like new.

To take the bulb apart there are 3 tiny Torx screws holding the back of the bulb housing on. The hardest part of all of this was finding a screwdriver to fit the screws.

I know I have read posts from people that have replaced bulbs because they stopped switching. I hope this helps someone out to save a couple of bucks.

This sounds like "extreme cheapskate" behavior, but I respect that.

I always buy the HID low/Halogen high H4 bulbs that switch electrically. The high beam is actually less bright than the HID low and this allows one a more acceptable headlight for group riding, etc. The downside is that switching to HID mode is subject to HID warmup lag.

Edited by syscrusher
downside

Jeff makes Jack Benny look like a big spender.:smile5:

Or,, maybe he is a gear head who finds fulfillment in making thing work again... Or maybe he is both...:rotf:

Either way he sounds like he would be a lot a fun to be around, kinda like a group of folks I met at Vogel this year!!

Jeff makes Jack Benny look like a big spender.:smile5:

I'll bet Jack Benny does not have 500+ LEDs on his Venture......:rasberry:

Or,, maybe he is a gear head who finds fulfillment in making thing work again... Or maybe he is both...:rotf:

Either way he sounds like he would be a lot a fun to be around, kinda like a group of folks I met at Vogel this year!!

If it's broke I can fix it, if I can't fix it, it wasn't broke.

Just take a quick swim across the lake to find out about being around me, I'll buy you an ice cream.

I'll bet Jack Benny does not have 500+ LEDs on his Venture......:rasberry:

If it's broke I can fix it, if I can't fix it, it wasn't broke.

Just take a quick swim across the lake to find out about being around me, I'll buy you an ice cream.

That's why no one offers to help when your broke down on the side of the road.:stirthepot: