IGNORED

Platinum Burners

I just bought a set of the Platinum Burners from Wally World and have a few questions. I am constantly reading about putting in a relay and am wondering why. If I connect these to the battery with an inline fuse and always remember to turn them off, what would be the problem? I don't want then wired into the headlight system, I want them wired separately so I don't understand the relay. Second, if anybody else has these, where in the world did you mount the little rocker switch? I currently have the lights mounted on the front fork reflector brackets but saw a post where someone had mounted them on the turn signal bar but how? I'd rather have them there. Any help offered is greatly appreciated. Wiring diagrams would be nice also. Thanks.

I just bought a set of the Platinum Burners from Wally World and have a few questions. I am constantly reading about putting in a relay and am wondering why. If I connect these to the battery with an inline fuse and always remember to turn them off, what would be the problem? I don't want then wired into the headlight system, I want them wired separately so I don't understand the relay. Second, if anybody else has these, where in the world did you mount the little rocker switch? I currently have the lights mounted on the front fork reflector brackets but saw a post where someone had mounted them on the turn signal bar but how? I'd rather have them there. Any help offered is greatly appreciated. Wiring diagrams would be nice also. Thanks.

Just my :2cents: but I would put them on a separate relay circuit, controlled by the headlight circuit. This way you would never have to remember to turn them off. Along this line if you really to you could wire a 3 position switch into the control wires (for the relay). This way, in one position the "burners" would never be on, in a second position, the "burners" would be on only when the headlight was on and the third position the "burners" would ALWAYS be on.

True, but would I need the on/off rocker switch as well as the relay?

If you will never turn them off you will not need the switch however I would recommend someway to turn them off, never know when you might need a little extra juice for something else.

I would wire with a switch absolutely. If you ever need to start bike while tuning or with a low battery you dont need all the draw. A relay is used to protect switches from running full amperage and allowing you to make a direct route source to relay to lites with a lite wire from switch and allowing you to pick up power to switch at a convienent spot.

Two reasons for putting in a relay, be it either controlled by a switch or headlight. Fiirst is the wire required to run a high draw devices tends to be heavier stuff to avoid voltage drop. It gets tough to run adequate gage wire to the places folks want switches. Second, most "15 amp" switches have a much lower continuous draw rating and will melt if running a high draw device through it for any length of time. Control the relay with the light gage wire and pass the serious current through the relay. You and your machine will be happier and safer for it!

Best!

-JK

Two reasons for putting in a relay, be it either controlled by a switch or headlight. Fiirst is the wire required to run a high draw devices tends to be heavier stuff to avoid voltage drop. It gets tough to run adequate gage wire to the places folks want switches. Second, most "15 amp" switches have a much lower continuous draw rating and will melt if running a high draw device through it for any length of time. Control the relay with the light gage wire and pass the serious current through the relay. You and your machine will be happier and safer for it!

Best!

-JK

Sounds goo but how to I wire it and where is a good place to mount the switch and relay?

:fingers-crossed-emo

If you look at the pictures he used, its a 2nd gen.

It would help if you told us what kind of bike you have. Is it a first gen or 2nd?

Even your profile only says "venture"

From what you say so far I'm guessing 2nd gen.

But....different animals when it comes to mounting stuff.

It would help if you told us what kind of bike you have. Is it a first gen or 2nd?

Even your profile only says "venture"

From what you say so far I'm guessing 2nd gen.

But....different animals when it comes to mounting stuff.

Sorry. It is a 2008 Venture. 2nd Gen.

Id love to see how you mount these lights. I was considering them also

For now, I removed the reflectors that are located on the front fork and I had to open the screw hole a little bit on the bracket, and I have them mounted there. I ordered a rocker switch that mounts on the handlebars and am currently in the process of wiring and of course, using a relay. When I get it done, I'll post pictures. I didn't like the idea of mounting them on the highway bars because I couldn't hide the wiring good enough. My ideal place would be to mount them on the turn signal bar but I could not find any P clamps skinny enough to fit between the little plastic chrome cover and the wind deflector bracket.