IGNORED

HID help

If your HID is connected the same as mine is where there is a separate fused power wire to the battery, then the signal to turn the hid on or off is pulled from either the high or low beam wires to the headlight. If you have dirty contacts in the Hi/Lo switch it might be breaking the connection while the switch is moving and that momentary break will tell the HID to turn off.

Clean your Hi/Lo beam selector switch.

Is it Bi-xenon? What I mean is the Hi beam also on the HID? Some of the kits dont use the HID bulb for Hi beam they use a standard halogen bulb. So if thats the case it may take a moment to switch the relay.

Now if its bi-xenon it uses a shutter to deflect the light a little different for each beam. This also takes a moment for the solinoid to switch and move the shield. If its bi-xenon quickly fliping from low to hi and back say to let a big rig know hes clear is not a recomended operation. It is very ruff on the unit drive it back and forth that much in short amount of time so they say. I have thought a couple of times about connecting a "flash" circuit to my driving/passing lights.

The HID capsule takes a bit to warm up to full brightness. If you have the brights on for a while on the split version where brights are a xenon or halogen capsule separate from the HID capsule then it may seem like it's lights out for a few seconds when you switch back.

It is a bi-xenon. The first couple times I thought I was seeing things, but after trying it in the pitch dark, it is indeed turning off for a second. My first thought was the hi lo switch. I will take that apart and clean it and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Aaron

• 1 month later...

It sounds like you have a separate element for high and low.

I think you are experiencing the "warm-up" lag of HID lights.

I use one that has an HID low beam and a halogen high beam. I only switch it when I ride with a group and then I use the high beam because it's not as bright as the HID.

Ballast is good if the light goes on and off fairly quickly, but this is normally caused by a power interuption. Dirty contacts in switch, a weak stator could cause this as well, but could also be the bulb. The bulb does not need to heat up to switch from low to high.

Brad

Ballast is good if the light goes on and off fairly quickly, but this is normally caused by a power interuption. Dirty contacts in switch, a weak stator could cause this as well, but could also be the bulb. The bulb does not need to heat up to switch from low to high.

Brad

If you switch between separate elements it does. There are different ways to make an H4 HID and all of them are on the market. The only way that doesn't actually turn one element off and another one on would not dim the headlight noticeably between high and low beam unless the motor was a short but that wouldn't last long. Dirty contacts, stator, etc. not the problem.