IGNORED

93 Virago Help

Dragged my old 93 Virago out of the shed at my parents house yesterday and am starting the process of getting her running again. She has been sitting for 11 or 12 years now and is going to take a pretty good deal of work to get roadworthy again I'm afraid.

If the whole project goes as good as it has started, it should be done in 5 or 6 years! I know she needs the carbs done, there was a stuck float when she got put away all those years ago, so I imagine they are awful right now. Gonna need new fluids all the way around, tires, plugs....and who knows what else.

First problem I have encountered is the gas cap is stuck in place. The key lock will not turn at all, I've forced it as much as I'm willing to for fear of breaking the key. I imagine there has to be a trick to doing this, but I have no idea what it might be.

I'm sure I'll be looking for a lot of help / advice over the next few months so thanks in advance and sorry if I get annoying with the questions. I am by no means a "mechanic" but have accomplished so much with the help of the folks on here and the tech forums! I'm confident I'll get this bike back on her wheels, just may take me a little while!

If the whole project goes as good as it has started, it should be done in 5 or 6 years!

First problem I have encountered is the gas cap is stuck in place. The key lock will not turn at all, I've forced it as much as I'm willing to for fear of breaking the key. I imagine there has to be a trick to doing this, but I have no idea what it might be. !

No worries.

Most of us plan to be here for the next 5 to six years :)

Regarding the key cylinder for the gas tank then under normal circumstances it should turn without any effort. Most likely the cylinder has collected moisture and dirt over the years and is therefore stuck. Try spraying some rust resolver into the keyhole. Try to get something else than WD40 since that stuff dries up pretty quick. You need something that will stay in there for some time. Let it sit for an hour and then insert the key and very carefully wiggle it right and left and see if the cylinder gives. If it does not work then spray some more into the cylinder and let it sit for a night. Repeat the process for two or three days before giving up :080402gudl_prv:

Also, grab the gas cap by your hand and try to wiggle it a little bit to the sides and see if it moves. The "hooks" or whatever one should call it that the cylinder draws in to release the cap could also be stuck to the grooves in the filler neck and therefore not letting the cylinder turn.

Mental note: Giving up is not an option :)

My first bike was a 1998 1100cc Virago. Man that bike was fun. Still regret that I sold it.

Edited by StarFan

OK I had recently gone through this with my 86 VR. It sat for 11 years before I bought it. The cap would only turn part way and I tried everything. So what I did was I got a liter, Canadian eh, of Evaporust poured it through the gas gauge hole. Make sure all the old gas is out of it first. I then turned it upside down so ALL the Evaporust was sitting down at the gas cap end of the tank. Left it for 3 days then flipped it back over put the key in and off it came!:backinmyday:

:mytruck1:

2nd the pb blaster, spray until the lock is full and sit and spray and sit, when you put the key in bump the top of the key with the back side of a screwdriver as you gently try to turn it. absolutely do not force it. If it won't open repeat , time and patience will pay off.

I knew you guys would come through with some great ideas!

I'm stuck at work all day today, but it's off to advance auto tomorrow for some Evaporust and PB blaster.

I'll keep you updated on my progress, and I know, this thread won't really be any good until I get some pictures up, I'll work on that tomorrow too!