IGNORED

Dropped her again!! Dammit!

Thank goodness it was one of those zero-speed drops.....where you just lose your footing at an intersection.....and thankfully it wasn't in the middle of a BUSY intersection in the city...where danger AND embarrassment are maximized. (Although it would have been nice if that pickup coming out of the "dead end" who caused me to stop awkwardly on the off-camber had also stopped to help with the 'recovery'). Oh well......

Recent (last October) back surgery notwithstanding.....I did my best to get Bessy back on her feet.....but finally decided to let the nice chap on the riding mower help me get 'er back up again. After a friendly chat about his "ole Harley".....and doing a cursory check for damage...I got home and found that I'd bent the right hand "crash bar" just enough that the little black button on the bottom of the lower fairing halves had gone missing. (Obviously due to the fact the crash bar had bent enough to throw the alignment of the two halves off by about half an inch.)

So, long story longer......while I'm sitting here trying to decide on either the $40 solution with less work (Larry's brackets, http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3725)....or the $10 solution, with lots of measuring and drilling (http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/?action=article&cat_id=002002&id=373)......can I get a.......

1. a show of hands as to who's tried what solutions for straightening the bent bar to the correct angel

2. who's used which bracket solution to keep the bars from bending next time she goes down

3. where the heck to get a replacement for that little black 'button'

Thanks for all your tricks/tips, guys.

P.S. This all happened, of course, not more than a week after I parked in my wife's blind spot and she backed out......and tipped it over with no one ON it! The poor bike MUST be feeling abused!!!

I went down hard a couple of years ago......down on one side then flipped to other side.....I had Larry's bar supports and have to say I think they saved me from having more damage than I did. I had to replace one bar that was bent bad on the right side......I guess the weight of the bike at 30kms did the job on that one. The left side stayed in place but I replaced it because of road rash.

Keith

The engine guards are very easy to bend. One or the other almost always gets bent no matter how softly you drop the bike. I usually just sit in the seat and push it back into place with my foot. You just have to be careful not to break the lower fairing mounts when doing this.

Mike

Annoying, isn't it? When I dropped mine (As most of us have done or will do!) I backed near the edge of the garage door. I then took a 2 X 4 with a notch cut in the end to fit on the bar and another short 2 X 4 so that te total length of the 2 was longer than the distance from te edge of the door to the bar. I placed the longer piece against the bar, the shorter piece against the edge of the door and then put the two ends together (looked a bit like a pyramid.). Then I just pressed gently down on the tip of the "pyramid" which pushed against the bar and straightened it that way. I think the pin is similar to the type used to hold panels to the interior of a car and you can get those at Canadian Tire.

Andy

Been there! Done that! I solved the problem now and forever.

I had a "Hannigan Trike Kit" installed. There's no way to explain the overall feeling of confidence and enjoyment that such an added component could make to a motorcycle.

Been there! Done that! I solved the problem now and forever.

I had a "Hannigan Trike Kit" installed. There's no way to explain the overall feeling of confidence and enjoyment that such an added component could make to a motorcycle.

Hey, Owen......that's ONE solution! However, I was looking more for the 8 dollar solution......as opposed to the 8,000 dollar one! :-)

Thanks for your input, though.

I went down hard a couple of years ago......down on one side then flipped to other side.....I had Larry's bar supports and have to say I think they saved me from having more damage than I did. I had to replace one bar that was bent bad on the right side......I guess the weight of the bike at 30kms did the job on that one. The left side stayed in place but I replaced it because of road rash.

Keith

Wow! To low side AND high side in the same incident must have been a "memorable" event. (there are OTHER descriptors.....but I understand this is a 'family friendly' site!)

If you hit with the sort of impact that your speed would suggest, Larry's brackets must have done a GREAT job. I'll probably go that route. Thanks for your vote!

Like the rest of us, I've been there and done that too. Fortunately, it's not often. When it becomes commonplace, it's time for a change.

Ride safe, my friends.

You couldn't have said it better, George.

My wife and I have had the conversation many times about "If I drop/tip/lose this thing any more than about once a year.....I've gotta figure out a way to lose a couple of hundred pounds!" (And that's off the BIKE I'm talking.....not my skinny little 175 lb frame!)

Even "setting" it down in a cool, calm, relaxed manner (which seems to be the way many of us lose this thing) is more than my lumbar-fused spine wants to have happen. Yes, the bike can be "walked", "squatted" or "levered" back to upright in a number of ways......but, wouldn't it just be easier to own a nice 500 or even 600 pound alternative (with a center of gravity BELOW your ass, instead of ABOVE it) in the first place?

Wifey keeps suggesting I get the same bike as her......a fine looking V-Star......which is saying a lot for her, since the biggest sacrifice is going to be the storage space on MY bike for HER 'stuff'. :-)

I say we campaign Yamaha to 'convert' the engine from a V-4 to a flat four........you know.....a Porsche engine......or a "dual" Beemer/Boxer. Probably get an increase in horsepower......and definitely drop the center of gravity about a FOOT!

If they can't GET the weight down......at least they could MOVE it down!

There is a specific method to pick up a dropped bike. Even a woman weighing 98 lbs soaking wet can do it when the method is followed. Shoukd be taught in MSF course. Ride like a pro video demonstrates it and you can search you tube on how to pick up a motorcycle.

Never touch the front brake under 10mph is a good tip. And if you find yourself going off balance like that again apply rear. Brake and feather the clutch out with a little throttle and that will get it to stand back up long enough to get you footing.

Two types of riders.....those that have been down and those that will go down. Happens to the best. No broken bones is a plus!

Edited by IronMike

There is a specific method to pick up a dropped bike. Even a woman weighing 98 lbs soaking wet can do it when the method is followed.

The theory is all good. It's when your back has more titanium in it than your bike does (see attached incision shot) that things get dicey!

:322:

There is a specific method to pick up a dropped bike. Even a woman weighing 98 lbs soaking wet can do it when the method is followed. Shoukd be taught in MSF course. Ride like a pro video demonstrates it and you can search you tube on how to pick up a motorcycle.

I would love to see a 98 lb woman pick up an RSV loaded with luggage and lying on it's side on a down slope. She had better have several hypos full of adrenaline handy! Don't ask how I know!

Andy

Two types of riders.....those that have been down and those that will go down.

I enjoy it when a rider tells me they have never dropped their ride. I simply answer, you haven't been riding long enough, it's going to happen. Hopefully, you won't get hurt.