IGNORED

neutral switch and gear indicator switch

Trying to find a gear position switch. None in parts fische listed. Not even as discontinued. My bike gives a good indication cold but once warmed up I loose all indications of 1st gear, neutral, and 2nd gear while remaining gears function properly. thought it would be worn switch or pin in switch. Any help?

My 88VR had a blinking "N" that was fixed by cleaning the contacts of the switch with steel wool. I removed the switch from the engine block and cleaned it with a carb cleaner to get the oil off, then used the steel wool to brighten the contact points. Worked well for my situation.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Thanks for the info about cleaning the contacts & connectors on the gear selection switch. I'll try that as mine does great except for the "N." when I shift to neutral my neutral light works perfectly but my CMS display doesn't. I can shut off the engine & turn the key back on & it displays the "N" again. :)

Thanks for the info about cleaning the contacts & connectors on the gear selection switch. I'll try that as mine does great except for the "N." when I shift to neutral my neutral light works perfectly but my CMS display doesn't. I can shut off the engine & turn the key back on & it displays the "N" again. :)

:sign yeah that:Just got another bit of my $12 back. :mo money::thumbsup2:

My 88VR had a blinking "N" that was fixed by cleaning the contacts of the switch with steel wool. I removed the switch from the engine block and cleaned it with a carb cleaner to get the oil off, then used the steel wool to brighten the contact points. Worked well for my situation.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

I have the same issue. Where does it mount to the engine block?

Trying to find a gear position switch. None in parts fische listed. Not even as discontinued. My bike gives a good indication cold but once warmed up I loose all indications of 1st gear, neutral, and 2nd gear while remaining gears function properly. thought it would be worn switch or pin in switch. Any help?
I had a similar situation, worked well when cold but lost the neutral indicator when warm. Eventually started losing other gear indicators. My Yamaha dealer had replacements for the main contact, the spring and an o-ring. Can't remember how much it cost perhaps $7-$10. Anyway, not much.

There are several electrical contact cleaner sprays available. CRC makes one called QD Electronic Cleaner. I'd give that a try before removing the gear indicator. It's a PITA getting back in there to mess with it. Spray from a distance...although you're still going to have to remove the middle gear cover....

There are several electrical contact cleaner sprays available. CRC makes one called QD Electronic Cleaner. I'd give that a try before removing the gear indicator. It's a PITA getting back in there to mess with it. Spray from a distance...although you're still going to have to remove the middle gear cover....

This will probably be a 'feel good' type of thing, but it won't help clean contacts. They are internal to the oil case, thus sealed from the outside.

Gary

I have had problems with my selector indicator since I bought the bike. The PO included a new unit with the bike that I just recently installed. When I removed the old unit I found that all three of the mounting screws were loose. This caused a small oil leak and I believe was the cause of all the problems in the first place. Put the new on in (while I was in there) but the old one sure looks good on the inside. I can't see any way of determining what problem may be plaguing the switch without removing it for an inspection and cleaning.

pulled switch and cleaned with steel wool since there was a line on copper accross all three pin pads 1st neutral 2nd. pin and spring looked ok with spring pressure seems good. Only real cost is middle gear cvr gkt, and a little oil if I do need a new pin and spring. Will test today.

Well after riding the bike, I found that my cleaning helped but not much. Now I can get the 1st gear indicator and neutral to come on when warmed up by moving shifter. If I push down on shifter while in 1st the indicator lites up. In neutral if I lift up on shifter the neutral lite luminates. I can't get 2nd to work at all when engine is up to temp. Pin and spring? Do you think case is growing more than pin spring can accomadate(worn out)? Seems if it were anything else it wouldn't always work cold.

Edited by sandman