IGNORED

Generator Stator XVZ Venture 1983

Looks like my short I have been looking for may not be a short. If I charge the battery and let it set overnight the charge holds. The bike starts and runs fine. With the gauges all working.

After I ride it 30 minutes or so it slowly starts to miss spit and sputter more and more. The gauges stop working and if I turn it off it cranks VERY slowly. Quick check of the battery and you guessed it LOW. So I am wondering about the generator stator on my 1983 XVZ Venture. Does this sound feasible? If so, for you who have changed the stator out on an 83, any tips? Also where would you suggest to purchase one?

Thanks for any help I truly am new at doing my own trouble shooting.

Brian

Edited by BSGODFATHER1

You may be fighting a couple of up hill battles at this point.

Reading through this thread may help you pinpoint your problem.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=80160

Usually start with the battery. Being charged and showing volts does not always indicate a full deep charge. A surface charge can be misleading.

First use a voltmeter / multimeter with the motor running at above 2,000 RPM or better and check across the battery posts with meter. You should see about 13.5 to 14.5 volts there. At idle it may well drop to 12.6 or below.

It's a start.

I installed the HO stator from Buckeye Performance several years ago and happy with it. There are cheaper option but I like the quality of this one.

If going into HO stator a Shindengen Mosfet R/R had proved to be a reliable combo.

Then power up with the DEKA AGM battery and quit thinking "Will my bike start?"

We not only offer information and advise........ we help you spend your money.

:rotf::mo money:

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

ditto. except, I went with Ricks Hot Shot and Shindigen. If your mechanically inclined, its not too difficult. me personally, I used 3 gaskets! not intentionally, just had a difficult time lining up the cover and trashed the first 2 gaskets. I also removed it completely from the old electrical system...too many gremlins in there.

As mike said you have more than one issue going on here.

A good battery should be able to run the bike for more than 30 minutes before it starts spitting and sputtering and things stop working even with a completely failed charging system.

Slow cranking when hot is a common trait for this bike. There are fixes for this available.

If the battery was so low that the bike would not run, then it would not have enough juice to crank at all.

As mentioned you have to start trouble shooting at the beginning.

Check the electrolyte levels in all of the cells of the battery and top off with distilled water if any are low.

Charge the battery up fully and check the voltage as described above.

Take the fully charged battery in to a shop to get it load tested to be sure that it is good.

Once you get all of this done so that we know where we are starting from, we can guide you on the next steps from there.

All of these steps do not cost money yet.

Got a new battery from House of Honda/Yamaha. The right one for the bike the one that was in it was small. No better the instrument panel does really nutty stuff when I reposition the positive cable to the battery. Such as the temp meter goes all the way to high and the volt meter goes to mid level. Without ever even turning the key on! Also all the icons that cycle thru when you turn the key on work sometimes and sometimes not. Not sure what to do. I would like to get this one running but it seems daunting, will take a look at it Sunday. Is it best to remove the fairing to check all the wiring out?

In the 90's I rode all the time but gave it up, now that I have rode even a little bit again I am hooked.:bighug: So much so i am thinking of getting another bike that is in running order maybe a vstar.

But I still want the Venture to come back to life it seems like a really nice bike.

Brian

You are not alone, I also have an 83 but its awaiting a new ignition module but yesterday I picked up an 89 Royale, I worked almost all night on it troubleshooting everything just checking it out, like changing the oil, brake and clutch fluids and even the coolant.

Took it for a ride at 2am, parked it, collected my gear and was ready to head home from my shop and it would not start.

Went back to it at 8am after it cooled down and it fired right up but will not go higher than 12.6 volts above 2k rpm. PO did recently replace regulator but I found all three stator wires show continuity to the case ground so the stator windings are shorting, time for a new one.

And it has a new AGM battery. I expected a much worse bike but so far its almost ridable.