IGNORED

91 Venture Royal Forks

Hello everyone;

Just acquired A 91 Venture Royal low mileage (67000KLM) one owner bike. Known issues were "shocks don't air up" and a couple electrical bugs (fixed), the best description of the fork during my 800klm homeward is there is no shock absorber period! So I followed the manual for adjusting the shocks after arriving home and managed to air them up seem to work I was not able to bottom them out after which, but they seem too mushy! 24 hours later I checked the monitor it read .08 however I could bottom out the front shocks just rocking back and forth with out much effort!

Question is folks for long distance peace of mind what does your experience suggest for a fix right the first time?

Thanks

Side issue regarding windshield and wet weather, would some argue for cutting down the windshield below eye level l for wet night time riding, I prefer full face helmets for touring.

S/G

Don't over inflate front shocks you can blow seals. A set of Progressive springs is the best fix. About a 100 bucks and you don't have to worry about the air with them. This could be the best 12 bucks you ever spend for info on your bike. To get it going right now a soap bottle and brush to check where air is getting out. Might be a simple fix. If you don't find get back with us. And WELCOME!!

Replace your 22 year old stock springs with Progressive brand springs and you probably won't need air. There are several areas where the air can be leaking. I would start with the O rings inside the collars around the shock tubes. You also might have a problem with the solenoid on the CLASS leaking, loose air hose or split or cracked hose. All the rubber and seals are 22 years old...

Side issue regarding windshield and wet weather, would some argue for cutting down the windshield below eye level l for wet night time riding, I prefer full face helmets for touring.

The windshield on my 90 VR is about level with my nose so I can see the road over the windshield to about 20' in front of the bike. I ride rain or shine and have found looking over the shield is very important in low light conditions. Sometimes the glare of oncoming traffic through the windshield is just impossible. Stretching up a bit higher helps quite a bit. Except in heavy rain I never need to lower the face shield more than half way, use it kind of like the peak on a ball cap to fend off water from above. When the rain is heavy the updraft from the windshield is not enough to deflect the rain above my head so that is when I lower the face shield part way. Works the same way on my Virago although it is a bit better than the VR probably because the windshield is quite a bit closer to me so the updraft does not have as much room to come back down before going over my head.