IGNORED

Fuel Pump??

Shotgun

While ridding today, my 07 RSTD lost power and died. I managed to coast into some shade and after rotating the petcock a couple of times and turning the ignition off and back on, I heard the pump pumping and the bike started back up. My question is, would trash in the tank stop up the petcock and should I still be able to hear the pump pumping if it was starved out of fuel? I rode to Destin a couple of weeks ago and it did the same thing one time while on this trip. As I was on the side of the highway that time, I couldn't hear if the pump was running or not. As this has just happened a couple of times, I'm at a loss as to what to look for. Any help will be appreciated.

fuel pump is dying. search this site and you find a couple of things. when stranded you can switch to gravity feed to make it home. you can spend $300 for the Yamaha pump or $50 for an auto parts store pump.

I used a MR Gasket 42S for $50 and it works fine

I didn't mention that this same thing happened one time last summer as well. I think I'll try cleaning the contacts first and see if it happens again. Is it very hard to reroute the fuel lines on the side of the road if I have to go "gravity flow"?

Thanks for the responses. :)

Is it very hard to reroute the fuel lines on the side of the road if I have to go "gravity flow"?

You dont have to change the fuel lines out on the road. Many times if you have issues with the fuel pump a few taps will get it going again. If you do start having issues, you'll want to keep the tank over half full so you have some head pressure to keep the carbs full. I know of several that have done the Mr Gasket 42S fuel pump, works like a charm and you can find one at every autozone or oriellys auto parts.

Had the same issue with my 07 Venture, cleaned the points on the fuel pump, good as new.

i took the screw off the end of the fuel pump and tried removing the black cover but it seemed to have alot of resistance to coming off - i am afraid to tug hard enough to get the cover off for fear of damaging something. the wire coming into the end of the pump seems to be what may be holding the cover on. any advice as to how to safely remove the cover would be appreciated,,,,thanks in advance.

Edited by naturbar
bump

i took the screw off the end of the fuel pump and tried removing the black cover but it seemed to have alot of resistance to coming off - i am afraid to tug hard enough to get the cover off for fear of damaging something. the wire coming into the end of the pump seems to be what may be holding the cover on. any advice as to how to safely remove the cover would be appreciated,,,,thanks.

I ran into the same problem, and being the lazy sort I just said the heck with it and ordered an OEM... :mo money: I rapped on it also with no luck.

If this one fails I'll get real serious and install the 42S....

If starved for fuel for any reason, Yes, you should absolutely hear the pump clicking when you turn the key on.

Did you try opening the tank? If the vent is clogged or hose kinked, you will have a vacuum build up in the tank that will cause that problem. It is also possible that lots of crud in the tank could clog the pickup screen, but that is much less likely.

If you need a new fuel pump, the 42S pump is the cheapest after market alternative, but it is NOT the best choice. Spend a bit more and get the one that has a positive fuel cutoff like the stock pump. see the Parts Alternative post in the tech library for more information. If you do go with the 42S pump, you must manually shut off the fuel every time you stop to be safe from fuel leakage through the carbs.

Goose