IGNORED

Need Front Forks

So... While trying to replace my fork seals and install progressives I managed to strip the 10mm bolt head up inside the lower fork tube. Thought about having a machine shop drill it out but I thought I would come here first and ask...

Does anyone have a set of front forks for my 86 that they are willing to part with. I have the new seals and progressives ready to install :cool10: I can even send the old forks as cores if someone is more skilled than I :223:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :322:

Thanks!

Brian

Brian,

I am trying to visualize which bolt you are talking about. Could you take a pic, or post a link to a parts breakdown. My 1st thought is to install a helicoil in it, but I really am curious as to which one your talking about...

That bolt holds the damping rod in place. There is a rather thick copper washer under it. If you drill carefully you can eliminate the head and limit the damage to the washer. Use a large bit that almost fills the hole, when the bolt head spins you're done. I think 7/16 is about the right size.

Once the fork is disassembled it's easy to get the remnant out of the damping rod. Then you need about $3 for a new bolt and washer.......

Image I probably stole from Dingy attached. Washer is hard to see, but it's under the bolt head.

Edited by MiCarl
Added photo

Are you sure it is not just spinning inside tube?

Some people have taken a broom handle and put in seal end of tube. This can be forced into the hex head of the damper tube to allow the cap screw to be removed.

If you fubar it, I probably have an extra one and a screw & washer.

Get me a picture of it so I can be sure I get you correct one.

Gary

Ok, here's what you're looking at. Options......... drive a Torx bit into the end of the stripped allen. IF you can get a good bite and IF you have a tool (like the one in the pic) you might be able to salvage it.

Apply a little heat to the head of the stripped allen. Not red hot, just get it warmed up. Then using a hand impact, (because you are driving the bit IN as well as turning it) it might very well break loose. But having the tool in place to hold the damper solid is a needed step. You have the tubes off the bike right?

If things get ugly for ya let me know. I have a bunch of MKII fork parts that I dressed up and polished if needed.

PM me if you have any questions later.

Mike

Thanks for the info everyone! Based on your posts and pics I was able to figure out what I was dealing with. (hadn't seen the inside of the forks before)

Anywho... I was able to drill out the head of the hex bolt and separate the tubes. The rest of the bolt came out with no resistance at all. Now to find replacement bolts and copper washers in town so I can put this project to rest. :fingers-crossed-emo

Thanks again for all of your help!!!!!!!!! :cool10:

Brian

I hate to bring it up but we have a saying around here.......

"As long as you're in there............"

Did you take a good look at the three washers for the oil lock assembly? Good time to check if they are in good condition. Upper and lower bushings? Dust covers?

Way to much work to have to do these twice.