IGNORED

Undetermined Rattle

Recently I changed the front tire on my 2nd Gen (2008 RSV). Since then, I've noticed a slightly "tin-y" rattle coming from the front of the bike. It seems to pop up when I drive over rough pavement or when accelerating hard, like after a turn. It lasts for a few seconds and then disappears. It's driving me crazy! I've done a cursory check, and everything appears to be tight. I can't figure out WHERE this rattle is coming from. Any suggestions?

Well, I checked everything I could think of to check, as well as some I didn't. Still can't find the source of the rattle. I'll be doing some local riding before the International - hopefully I'll be able to solve the mystery before the 9 hour ride...

Check those round guards that are mounted on the top of the left and right rear valve covers. They have been known to fracture right at one of the mounting screws. The two ends rub on each other and make the most annoying sound. It tends to be reflected off the inner front fairing making it sound like the noise is coming from some place forward. Had it happen a couple of times on my 98 TC.

You need to actually push on each end where they a fastened to the valve cover to see if they move, the fracture is so clean it is almost invisible and you will not see it until you force it to move.

Take the chrome cover off of bottom of windshield.

It is most likely the metal bracket(s) that hold your windshield on are loose.

Happened to me a couple years ago and about drove me nuts till I found it. Happened mostly when i hit a sharp bump...

Also, the plastic around the gas cap can get a high frequency hum. Bad on my RSTD. I just need a "round-toit" to fix it. (not your key fob?)

On the road, push your feet on the sides of the front cowlings or crash bars, both and each. See if this suppresses it. On one of my bikes seemed to clear doing that.

But it started when they worked on it. No reason to think an unrelated rattle would suddenly show.