IGNORED

Nothing past third...like hitting a brick wall

I recently bought an 83 and all was fine for the first couple of weeks and I went to take it out the other day and went to shift up into fourth and nothing! Tried a few more times and still the same thing. It's like third is the last gear. I'm fairly new to riding (Ventures) and after scouring the internet I finally came to this site (thankfully) and I'm hoping someone can give me some insight as to what's going on. I'm in the process of changing out the starting motor as well after looking on here. I went to leave work the other day and a couple of guys and I had to push start it so I could get it home! Would very much appreciate and advice in this!

:mytruck1:

Edited by TattoosByJasonMoore

welcome to the crazy house im still new to the venture royale to but the folks on this site are the greatest and full of knowledge on these bikes some one will chime in soon to ask questions and give answer i think i may know the problem but not sure and it should be behind the clutch basket but some one who knows will speak up soon oh spend the 12.00 bucks its well worth it but you will see

pushing the pin back in and bending the retainer back into place will get you by probably for the rest of the summer. Don't even have to drain the oil. Gotta take the clutch cover off and leave the bike on the side stand. You may even get lucky if you are careful and not hurt the gasket. (It worked for me). Behind the clutch basket at the bottom right you will see the culprit. A winter project would be to replace that unit. One from a V-Max in the early 2000s is a direct fit and is a cast piece instead of stamped metal so is a permanent fix.

The hard part for me was breaking the screw in the middle free. It has loctite on it. Make sure you have a good fit with your screw driver tip and I had to use an impact wrench with some heat to get it free.

Wow! Thank you everyone, I have a guy willing to help me out for $50 an hour but just these few replies have saved me some cash! I happy to be a part of this community! I'm thinking of rebuilding my starting motor and found this website who also posted on Ebay. Before I decide to purchase, I was hoping to get some feedback. I called my local Yamaha dealer and they wanted $500 for the starter but here is the link to what I found. Do you think this is a good deal?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400503518577?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Thanks again everyone! :mustache:

welcome to the crazy house im still new to the venture royale to but the folks on this site are the greatest and full of knowledge on these bikes some one will chime in soon to ask questions and give answer i think i may know the problem but not sure and it should be behind the clutch basket but some one who knows will speak up soon oh spend the 12.00 bucks its well worth it but you will see

$12 well spent!:mustache:

If you're going to spend the time and money on a starter you need to change from the 2 brush starter you have to a newer 4 brush starter. It will solve several problems you have or are going to have, like hard cranking and the problems with hot starts that are the demon within on these older bikes.

You should search for info on the 4 brush starters on the site. A lot of info here on the subject.

I can't say which starter is the right one as I did mine several years ago and haven't kept up with the latest info.

But I think the V-Max starters (or at least the later early years) and the 2nd gen starters are all 4 brush.

You don't need to spend big bucks on it. They can be found for $40.00 and up. You just need to be sure it's a 4 brush.

From my experience rebuilding a 2 brush is a waste of money. Been there, with poor results.

If you're going to be pulling the starter be sure to get new gasket and o-ring for the thermo housing to. You will be removing that to get the starter out. Might as well throw in a new thermo as long as you're in there. There is a cheaper replacement from NAPA that works quite well.

Let the fun begin.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

I have a guy willing to help me out for $50 an hour

That's helping?

Folks on this site will help for a LOT less than that!

I thought Helping was more like share a beer or two over the evening while you work on your bike together....you know....like friends.

That's helping?

I thought Helping was more like share a beer or two over the evening while you work on your bike together....you know....like friends.

lmao, yeah he's not really a friend, just does repairs, but now that I know that it's something relatively easy I'll just do it myself! Too bad I can't just send you all beers over the computer!

If you're going to spend the time and money on a starter you need to change from the 2 brush starter you have to a newer 4 brush starter. It will solve several problems you have or are going to have, like hard cranking and the problems with hot starts that are the demon within on these older bikes.

You should search for info on the 4 brush starters on the site. A lot of info here on the subject.

I can't say which starter is the right one as I did mine several years ago and haven't kept up with the latest info.

But I think the V-Max starters (or at least the later early years) and the 2nd gen starters are all 4 brush.

You don't need to spend big bucks on it. They can be found for $40.00 and up. You just need to be sure it's a 4 brush.

From my experience rebuilding a 2 brush is a waste of money. Been there, with poor results.

If you're going to be pulling the starter be sure to get new gasket and o-ring for the thermo housing to. You will be removing that to get the starter out. Might as well throw in a new thermo as long as you're in there. There is a cheaper replacement from NAPA that works quite well.

Let the fun begin.

Mike

Thanks for the info! I wasn't really looking forward to rebuilding it! I'll definitely search for the 4 brush.

pushing the pin back in and bending the retainer back into place will get you by probably for the rest of the summer. Don't even have to drain the oil. Gotta take the clutch cover off and leave the bike on the side stand. You may even get lucky if you are careful and not hurt the gasket. (It worked for me). Behind the clutch basket at the bottom right you will see the culprit. A winter project would be to replace that unit. One from a V-Max in the early 2000s is a direct fit and is a cast piece instead of stamped metal so is a permanent fix.

The hard part for me was breaking the screw in the middle free. It has loctite on it. Make sure you have a good fit with your screw driver tip and I had to use an impact wrench with some heat to get it free.

The pic shows the part causing the problem, the shift sector.

The one on the right of the pic is the OEM part you have in your bike. The one on the left is the new upgraded sector. Some, rather than just reset the pin in place install the new part.

Well, I got about 15 minutes into the job and at least one of the pins in the shift sector is definitely missing! It's hard to tell from the picture but the retainer has a crack about halfway through and the hold looks a little warped. I didn't bother taking the clutch basket off because I'm afraid if I try to bend the retainer back in place, it will snap off completely. Even though I tried my best not to, it seems that I broke the gasket :(

You guys have been an awesome help so far, my next question would have to be, where to get the gasket and the upgraded sector that Snaggletooth mentioned? Hopefully I'll be back out on the road in the next week to two weeks!

That's helping?

:sign yeah that: If you have any mechanical aptitude at all, you'll be fine armed with the info you've got here already.

yea Jason the guys here are the Best they have helped me out and have kept my bike running i have learned so much about my bike thanks to these nut cases and trust me you will come to know and love them too :whistling: :confused24: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Well so far one monster taken care of! New starter installed and she's running again. Just waiting for the clutch cover gasket and I'll be all set to take care of shifting problems. I just noticed that on top of my speedometer not working, neither do my brake-lights or turn signals. I have running lights so I'm thinking maybe a relay possibly? Any suggestions?:confused24:

Two different problems. Speedo is mechanical. could be the cable or could be the head unit. Usually the head unit drys out and gets toasted. The brake and signal lights could be a fuse..

I thought a fuse too, all the fuses are intact, I even tried new ones just to eliminate the possibility. The fuse box was replaced before I bought the bike and the wiring has been altered... I'm wondering if something was wired wrong:confused24:

I'm going to try and trace it but it's really confusing. I can handle mechanical, but wiring is a whole horse of a different color to me... At least I have hand signals but that does me little good at night so for now I'm trading out for my car before it gets dark...:crying: