IGNORED

seat height

Guest Bezzer

Well I have been thinking about buying a full touring bike and the venture had my attention till I sat on it. I'm just 5'8" so I was up on the balls of my feet which is not going to work. Any lowering ideas out there?

Guest BluesLover

I'm 5' 7" myself. After my first season of being on the balls of my feet and actually dropping the bike a couple of times, I took the driver's seat to teh local shop and had them shave an inch off of each of the sides (it is rather wide to begin with).

This allowed me to flat-foot the bike and have not had any problems since. It was also cheap (about CDN$100), and they did a good job in re-stitching it (unless someone was looking for it, they wouldn't know that it had been altered).

Others on here will probably chime in with other solutions like a lowering kit.

Good luck, and don't let that seat height keep you away ... it's a beauty bike after all!!!

Cheers,

I am 5'8" also and love this bike. I took my seat to have it shaved in the 1st week I had it and have little problem now. I still can't quite flat foot it, but with time I have gotten use to it and have no problems.

I have a lowering kit also, but still haven't decided if I amactually going to install it. There are several lowering options if you find that you need them.

As far as I know, yes, Corbin seats lower the seight height by about an 1". I also got word on the other forums that a Saddlemen Road Sofa will do the same.

I'm a little vertically challenged myself, at 5'8", and I have been pondering swapping out the seat vs dropping the forks. I would shave an inch of the sides of the stock seat but I don't trust my own work and don't know anyone one here I would trust to do it. At least, not without a spare seat ..heheh ;)

I got a modified seat from another member that is lower then the corbin seat. I am going to sell it. when the bike is on the kickstand it measures less then 26 inches high. It was profesionaly modified. I found it very comfortable but was too low for me. It has a drivers backrest. I also have the matching passenger seat. This seat is about 1 inch then the Corbin which is what I currently have on my bike. If anyone is intrested let me know.

here is a picture

I have the Corbin and it does lower the seat significantly but the width of the seat negates the difference somewhat. If I had it to do over again I would request Corbin to narrow the seat where my legs straddle the seat. I'm 5' 11" so I don't have any problems flat footing it but it would still be more comfortable narrowed a bit. Especially noticeable when I am pushing to back the bike especially on gravel I would have even better control. I may find someone to narrow mine yet.

Guest BluesLover
I would shave an inch of the sides of the stock seat but I don't trust my own work and don't know anyone one here I would trust to do it.
I went to my local dealer and he recommended someone who does leather work. Can't really tell the difference ... here's proof ...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=2257

Cheers,