IGNORED

Fuel Line cracked

Fuel line end at petcock cracked. Dealer wants $48 for itgood quality gas line is only a couple dollars. Has any one here replaced theirs with a non OEM fuel line? If so does it have to be high pressure? Also the only thing that concerns me is the first turn it takes the OEM one has a fixed hard bend in it, the rest is soft bends to the fuel filter, Oh it's a 2003 Venture

Take a piece with you 1.20$ a foot at autozone the dearer wanted 38.00$ for little water line on bottom of radiator to thermostat, I got mine for 8.00 at autozone. Just never say motorcycle. Everybody seems to start nodding their head at the word,

I relocated my fuel filter for easier access and used a low pressure OEM hose off the shelf at a local shop.. very inexpensive. Just ensure there isn't a chance of the line bending enough to kink and starve the pump.. Other than that, yer good to go!

I replaced mine on my boat motor with an ethanol rated fuel line and it was little more, you can see a lining inside. Ethanol eats the rubber, if your fuel filter has a black tinting that Is the hose breaking down and the hose is not all that long. You should be able to find it in a marine or at a auto store . . . the hose rating will be stamped on the hose and you can do a search on the rating. Marine hose is stamped us coast guard, but because it's stamped does not give it an ethanol rating, you want SAE J1527 .

http://www.fishsafe.info/Ethanol%20&%20Biodiesel%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

Not sure how it works on a second gen, but on the first gen there is a reason for the hard bend. It's because the fuel line goes under the tank and over top of the swing arm. Now the bottom of the tank has a seam right at the swing arm and when those two come together then anything in between tends to get crushed or cut,,, such as the fuel line, hence Yamaha has attached a protector to that part of the tank seam so that it might crush the line but not cut it. An unformed line would lie in a different location and then get cut, which does very little for keeping fuel on the inside where it belongs.

There is no pressure before the fuel pump. Just the weight of the fuel in the tank. Ethanol rated fuel line is probably a good idea. Elbows used to be available if you feel the need. Also I can see a dealer charging 1/2 hour for replacing the line. Even though it only takes a few minutes.

Mike

Not sure how it works on a second gen, but on the first gen there is a reason for the hard bend. It's because the fuel line goes under the tank and over top of the swing arm. Now the bottom of the tank has a seam right at the swing arm and when those two come together then anything in between tends to get crushed or cut,,, such as the fuel line, hence Yamaha has attached a protector to that part of the tank seam so that it might crush the line but not cut it. An unformed line would lie in a different location and then get cut, which does very little for keeping fuel on the inside where it belongs.

If I remember correctly, the location of the elbow on the fuel line is mostly there to facilitate the routing more than anything else.. there's nothing much near it as its located down by the battery area behind the engine. I think it might simply be used to avoid kinking?