IGNORED

Travelling from Ontario to Arkansas via Branson MO. Need best way around Chicago.

Midnight

We are planning a two week trip to Missouri/Arkansas from Ontario. We will cross at Port Huron Michigan and make are way across/down. We plan on stops in St Louis at the arch and Budweiser brewery. Will also stop in Branson for a few days. Then onto Harrison/Eureka springs etc???. Chicago is always a challenge especially on a bike. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to skirt around it so to speak as we come across Michigan/Indianna/Illinois headed for St Louis. Thanks in advance for any advice.

We are planning a two week trip to Missouri/Arkansas from Ontario. We will cross at Port Huron Michigan and make are way across/down. We plan on stops in St Louis at the arch and Budweiser brewery. Will also stop in Branson for a few days. Then onto Harrison/Eureka springs etc???. Chicago is always a challenge especially on a bike. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to skirt around it so to speak as we come across Michigan/Indianna/Illinois headed for St Louis. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I ran to Chicago all last year every day and the best way since the construction is pretty much done on 80/94 I would just run 80/94 294 80 to 57 and go south. There is really no easy way to get around that city. You should be ok depending on time of day you pass through.

Joe :080402gudl_prv:

Midnight,

Advance welcome to our beautiful state. There's some awesome riding up in the Harrison/ Eureka Springs area. one of the best kept secrets in the country.

Eureka is a cool little swiss styled town set into the hills of the Ozarks. If you have time, catch The Passion Play. World renown. Be sure and take Hwy 7 south out of Harrison and ride it down to Jasper. A lot of bikers grab a great lunch at the Ozark Cafe in Jasper, but for a better experience, keep going south on 7 out of Jasper for a few miles and you'll come to The Cliffhouse Restaurant on the left. Grab a lunch there. The restaurant hangs out on a cliff that has a panoramic view of the Arkansas Grand Canyon, as we locals call it. Beautiful. Then after you eat there, head back north on Hwy 7 for a short distance and you will see Hwy 374 on your right. Take 374 down into the valley that you were overlooking at the restaurant. Beautiful ride through rollings hills and farms. At the end of 374, turn right onto Hwy 123 and take it south through Mt Judea and up the hill on the twisties we call The Arkansas Dragon, all the way to Hwy 7 again. Then turn north on 7 and you can ride it back to Jasper, and farther north from there.

When are you heading down? I might meet up with you if the timing is right?

Can't help you with Chicago issue. LOL.

We go down that way several times a year and the best route we have found is after you cross into the states get on to the 69 west towards Flint Michigan. Stay on the 69 through Flint, Lansing, and Fort Wayne clean down to Indianapolis. At Indianapolis take the 465 south to the 70 west. As you approach St Louis go from the 70 onto the 55 which will take you into St Louis.

This is a nice clean fast route mostly open country. We have taken several different routes over the past 30 years and this has become our favourite. I highly recommend it and you will stay well clear of Chicago and Detroit.

Edited by saddlebum

I grew up outside Chicago many years ago (40 yrs) and I would recommand trying to get to Chicago on a Sunday morning. Try to stay somewhere outside the city Saturday night and then leave early Sunday morning. I travel to Rockford Ill to see family and most of Ill is flat and miles of corn fields. takes me about 10 hours to get from M/H to Rockford.

Arkansas... I live straight east of Harrison ( 1 hour) on the main road that travels all the from east to west in this part of the state ( hyw 62). I like route 160 in Missouri about 20 miles north of 62. ANYWHERE DOWN HERE GET GAS BEFORE YOU NEED IT, a lot of small towns have disappeared with no gas stations. All the traffic that travels this part of the state use that road. Google Mountain home Arkansas and blow it up untill Springield in at the top and Little Rock is on the bottom. You will see only 1 main road and that's R 62. It's a nice road but very little in passing lanes . If you take "B" roads expect to travel 35-40 in an hour. If you want to take a ferry ride Google "peel arkansas " and track the road back to branson. Also youtube "peel ferry arkansas" there a some tubes of the ferry.

I have been in M/H for 10 years and have about 40,000 miles of local back road riding. Youtube Pigs trail and Push mountain road arkansas for 2 of the best rides in Arkansas.

If you need anything while you are here let me know, I have a workshop and trailer if needed.

If you have questions please ask Cb

Edited by cb1313
spelling