IGNORED

How much tread is left

greyghost

Hi All

I have a Metzler 880 tire on the rear of my scoot.

I have put approx 20,000km (12,500 miles) on it.

There is approx 3/16" tread left on the center of the tire.

How much tread is on a new tire??

I am planning on a 8,000 km trip this June from Ontario to Yellowstone to meet my brother for a 5 days of riding and was wondering what you think about the tire. Will it last or should I replace it. The price of tires here in Canada is rediculous so I would hate to waste a good tire. But on the other hand I have been caught away from home and had a tire go bad. Hence that is why I have a Metzler and had to get rid of the Avon. I am planning on picking up a tire on my way home and will have it changed after the trip.

I know when tires go bad they go fast.

Bob

There are a couple ways to do this. Buy a tire in the US and have it shipped to a dealer here and then have it put on on a "down day" while on your trip. This may be complicated to arrange though. Not sure if your schedule permits this. Or maybe send to a member here and then have it installed on the end of your trip or on the way home from your trip.

And, of course, the most expensive, is to have it installed before your trip and then not have to worry about tires......this is my option because of the peace of mind, of knowing you have good tires on the bike. How much is your safety and peace of mind worth during your trip?

A third option is to have it changed at Don's MD in Oberlin. Have it shipped to Don's home (thanks Don....:))!!!!!!! Free labor and a great time to be had!!! (Sorry Don...had to put that in here for a little free advertising for MD).

I am going to have a new rear tire put on here at home, before going to the International and keep the old tire for a spare. It is only half way thru it's life, but the confidence of having new tires is worth the extra cost (IMHO).

Jim

Well I probably will change the tire as it will give me a peace of mind.

and as stated what is the price of safety.

I will probably get a tire from ZDENO in Kitchener as they have the best price around and will install it on the rim if I take the tire off the scoot.

Thanks for the replys and comfirming what I thought.

Bob