IGNORED

Throttle Issue

Hello All.

I went for a 3 hour ride today on my 83 Venture std. Just about to turn 50K miles. about 4 to 5 times during the ride at about 40mph or saw the throttle would suddenly close. As if I tuned

the throttle down myself, but I did not. I just twisted the throttle back to off/no throttle position and turned it again and it was fine. I fined this to be a bit odd. Anyone know what

would cause this ? I would like to find out now if this is leading up to something more serious.

Thank You

Tom O'Neil

Hamilton Mass

There is a spool for the push-pull throttle cables, the throttle set runs around one level and the carb set run around the other level. Sounds like one of them jumped off the spool when driving, explaining why rolling off and back on allowed it to "respool". Can't imagine it getting better without attention. It's against the frame on the left side about 10 inches in front of the carbs... you can get there by pulling the radio tray, amps and the inner fairing shield, or just pull the left main fairing. Either cable jumping off would allow the main throttle spring on the carbs to pull them to idle.

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/throttlecable.jpg

There is a spool for the push-pull throttle cables, the throttle set runs around one level and the carb set run around the other level. Sounds like one of them jumped off the spool when driving, explaining why rolling off and back on allowed it to "respool". Can't imagine it getting better without attention. It's against the frame on the left side about 10 inches in front of the carbs... you can get there by pulling the radio tray, amps and the inner fairing shield, or just pull the left main fairing. Either cable jumping off would allow the main throttle spring on the carbs to pull them to idle.

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/throttlecable.jpg

If what Mike thinks is your problem, I likely have a spare throttle cable housing laying around.

Gary

As I recall some of the early 1st Gens, had cruz control, and some did not??? but not sure on this.

If it " Forced " you to go to the full cut off position, sounds like maby the cruz control system has some problem. ?? Hmmmm ?? Interesting.

Check, you Cable ends, carefully, at the Forward Left side carb. Check for any signs of " Fraying Cable " just above the Carb !!!

If you find any, replace the cable !!! It will soon break .

If you have cruz control on your bike, to get at the " throttle joint " you will have to pull off the upper left side fairing to get access to it.

I had to replace the " pull cable " from the " Joint to the Carb " on my 89, due to cable Fraying, at the carb, and the cable broke. Not a fun job, had to pull off the upper fairing.

I'm doing mine, pretty soon. Got to fix my vans windshield and get inspected first. Then the bike is gonna get fixed and a new windshield is in order there too. So I will keep and eye on this and others. So we can help each other if need be. Thanks MB for the tips you sent me.

I've got a spare assembly here at the house. Complete I think. I'm must not sure what it came from. First or Second gen. Somebody dropped it off at Maintenance Day a couple of years ago. I'll have to look and see what bike it is for. If anybody can use it, let me know and I'll get it in the mail. I'll try to post later today if I can figure out what it fits.