IGNORED

Rear lowering kit for a '07 RSV

AngryAmish

None that I'm aware of. These bikes already have too much of a rearward rake and that doesn't help handling. In fact, some members here have raised the rear and report that the handling improved, especially at lower speeds. I can believe it ... when I was road racing, getting the rear up and the front down was a good way to quicken steering and reduce any tendency for the fork to "flop" over at lower speeds. My bike came with a lowering kit and I find that it gives me less clearance for work such as oil changes as well as allowing the bike to touch down sooner on hard turns. I'm looking at taking it off and getting the rear back up to stock height. I'd go with raising it more, but my legs just aren't long enough. If I were looking to shorten the reach to the ground, I would start by dropping the front on the forks and maybe getting the seat cut down. I's still lose some ground clearance, but at least the rake would be going in a better direction. Just my 2 cents worth but there it is.

Andy

Talk about vertically challenged, I'm 5' 10" with a 29" in inseam. I put a Baron lowering kit on the rear and had the dealer lower the front about an inch on my '04 Midnight RSV last spring. Heard all the horror stories about dragging pipes, foot rests etc., but have not drug anythiing yet. I put on about 7,000 mi last year, including a trip around north side of Lake Superior in Canada and back through the UP after lowering it. My bike is much easier for me to handle and I have not had any problems since lowering it. If you do, make sure you lower the front too! There are directions on this sight on how to do it.

Having said that, I am not the kind of rider that wants to see how fast I can take a curve. If you are an aggressive rider, you may have issues? For myself, if I ever get a newer RSV, IT WILL BE LOWERED.

I don't get it? I think these bikes must come from the factory at different ride heights. I too am 5'10" and 30" but I have raised the back of my bike and I keep the shock pumped to the max. I also use wooden seat beads as well and I don't have any trouble flat footing at a stop. We ride two up most of the time (aprox. 350+ lbs.) with full luggage and I found before raising the bike we were bottoming out the suspension on hard bumps and scraping the exhaust tips too. Now, we can still do it but not nearly as often. I find the bike handles much better at all speeds with the 1" higher rear suspension too.

I still have the original rear shock. No leaks and pumped to 55 lbs. With the amount of times I bottomed out before, I sure wouldn't want to lower it from stock.

PS: my bike also has almost all the safety chrome, (bag rails, luggage rack, trailer hitch) which also adds to the total weight and affects the final ride height. IMHO if you are carrying a heavy load, DON'T lower the bike unless you only ride down smooth, straight roads.

Edited by Gary N.

I can't have it raised or else I would be trying to steady the bike on my toes !! I need to be more sure-footed. The beast weighs 860 lbs !! lol ......... I will look into lowering the front first, then see how it goes. I'm sure there are threads on doing it in here at VR

Thanks

Army

Angry,

I bought mine already lowered since P.O. Was shorter as well. I have not changed the front, the dealer suggested I do not. Also sent the seats for the butt butler mod. I am 5'8 on a good day, and I have both feet flat. Mind you if I have to back this beast up a hill, I am screwed, but as far as riding, no issues. I haven't bumped or scraped anything. Even took the ride like a pro course with it BEFORE the butler mod and Jerry himself rode the bike into 18 foot circles. I haven't dropped the bike and I am no ride like a pro. Since you are close by, you are welcome to swing by and take it for a spin. See how ya like it. If you want to, PM me for the day and time and such. Hope it helps, but most likely just added to the mess ....

• 4 weeks later...
Angry,

Since you are close by, you are welcome to swing by and take it for a spin. See how ya like it. If you want to, PM me for the day and time and such. Hope it helps, but most likely just added to the mess ....

Barry, I will take your offer when I am back down .... Thanks

Ok, I'm confused, do I lower the rear, raise the rear, lower the front, lower the rear ???? Like I said I am short and NEED much better slow speed cornering. I have a hard time turning onto an intersection. I need foot grip when stopped AND increased control ..... Just confused which way top go, up, down ?

AA

Look up "A STITCH ON TIME" They're in St. Pete I talked with them they can do a seat mod that will make you sit lower. Or you can send it to the guy here (Butler mod) who's in Texas I believe. I've had 2 bikes with the lowering kit and it was harder to balance when coming to a stop than without the lowering kit I'm only 5'7" and 29" inseam and I'm on my toes. When they do a seat mod they gain leg length by not so much the height of the seat but if your fat (like me) the width of the seat gets decreased so that gives you more length. At least that's how it explained to me, which makes sense look up his ad in FULL THROTTLE FLORIDA MAGAZINE.

here's his web site http://www.asweetseat.com/ Oh yeah he did a seat for Evil Kinevals VROD. Heck he might even have a tent at Oldsmar Freedom Bike Fest today

Edited by usedcyclesales

Look up "A STITCH ON TIME" They're in St. Pete I talked with them they can do a seat mod that will make you sit lower. Or you can send it to the guy here (Butler mod) who's in Texas I believe. I've had 2 bikes with the lowering kit and it was harder to balance when coming to a stop than without the lowering kit I'm only 5'7" and 29" inseam and I'm on my toes. When they do a seat mod they gain leg length by not so much the height of the seat but if your fat (like me) the width of the seat gets decreased so that gives you more length. At least that's how it explained to me, which makes sense look up his ad in FULL THROTTLE FLORIDA MAGAZINE.

here's his web site http://www.asweetseat.com/ Oh yeah he did a seat for Evil Kinevals VROD. Heck he might even have a tent at Oldsmar Freedom Bike Fest today

Amish, here's another brain twist...I have to politely disagree with usedcyclesales in regards to balancing at slower speeds. I have not dropped the bike and trust me with the slow ass speeds I was going at ride like a pro course I imagine everyone thought I should, including me. However, with the proper tire inflation at 40/40, the bike handled well. I STILL have trouble spots on U turn practices and turns at slow speeds have me a a slow to almost stopped pace. The bike does not give out. I have the butt butler mod and not only is the turn around quick, he adds memory foam in specific spots. I just returned 1,911 miles from door to Tennessee / Kentucky and my butt is fine and the bike handled all obstacles including rain. Like I said previously, swing by and sit on and ride mine if ya want...

One of the best solutions for short-legged riders is large heels (western or harness boots). These do wonders for your control. I am 5-10+ with 30" inseam. Never had a problem with control since I have always worn western boots. I even installed the levelers for better control. These lift the rear about 1" but I still have no problem.

:farmer:

I would do like Easy Rider mentioned and lower the front and inch. This will help with the slow speed handling as long as you keep the rear height the same. The Butler mod is a good idea as well like Gary mentioned. It narrows a but between the legs letting your legs hang straiter down and thus closer to the ground

:2cents: