IGNORED

floor boards

venture482

I've had 2 royales

First one was the two tone gold 84 which I rode all over the Philippines and then shipped to Japan when I was transfered to the USS Midway in Yokosuka, (guess what you can not get any parts for yamaha's that are over 1100cc's in Japan it's illeagle, explain more later)

Second one is the 88 royal I just picked up.

Question

Never had floor boards on the driver end. Always had pegs.

What are the advantage and disadvantage of the floor boards. I'm thinking about putting some on , but I thought I'd tap the VAST knowledge of fellow riders.

Thanks

Gene'o

venture482

In My Opinion

Disadvantage:

If you're on the short legged side, flat footing the ground is harder.

In hard cornering you will drag the board's underside.

Some do not like or get used to using the heal down level to put it into 1st gear and the toe down lever for the other gears.

Then the reverse going down the gears. Sometimes I use my toe to hit the heal shifter.

I've noticed that the 1 important nut kept unscrewing, So I had to put some lock tight on and carry some with me incase it still comes loose.

An expensive add on.

The side kick stand is harder for your boot to get a hold of. I had the hook on the side stand cut off, reweld and lengthen and moved a bit so my boot can get the hook easier.

Advantages:

All the gear motions are down on the level. Heal Down for 1st and Toe Down for that other gears. (I like it)

Sometimes I use my toes all the time to shift.

You do not scuff your left boot's toe area over time when putting into 1st.

Some feel the floorboards are more comfortable than the pegs. (I like it).

Edited by Golf&Venture

Thanks guys

Never knew all that. My boss has them on his shovel head and he's been debating with himself for going on 6 years to keep them or not.

It gave me food for thought.

I'll ride around the flats of eastern Washington and then make the choice. Right now being on the Island and the passes the pegs are easier and I can hold on a little better especial in the switchbacks of old Hy 9 going to the CA. border. Fun ride. The boss has his shovel head so have to really hold back. His soft tail is geared and built for open road. So still have to hold back. But his new sporty don't know I probaly won't be able to keep up.

Being short legged is not the problem (with all due respect) I'm 6'2" 34" inseam so thats not a problem. My boss can't even sit on my 88 He's all of 5'2" and all body. even his 2012 sporty he has reaching ground issues. I have seen him get a little upset about having to REACH around the floor boards, and complaines catching his anckles sometimes (ouuch)

Edited by venture482

The 83-93 Ventures are taller than the new Ventures and the floor boards are a different config.

With the G1 Venture config has a feet below hip config so most people have to put their legs down on the outside edge of the boards when stopped, meaning that you need longer legs to reach the ground.

The G2 Ventures have a different seating position with your feet more out front of you so when you put your feet down its probably behind the back edge of the boards making it easier to get a firm foot down.

Brian

I have just installed a set of foward controlls from a 2nd gen to my 86 I really like the way it sits now. I had a set of driver floor broads on it already but felt cramped on it. i needed to get my legs out from underneath me. Im 5ft 10". as so as i figure out how to get my pics down loaded i will share but if you cant wait that long send a e-mail or a phone # and i will share with you sooner. And by the way anybody looking for a stock set of Drivers Floor Broads I have a set in very nice shape im looking to sell complete with factory instruction and bolts and leakage.