IGNORED

Chrome Batteries?

pofarm

AGM batteries are Lead-Acid batteries. The difference to a flooded lead acid battery is the acid is absorbed into a glass mat (Absorbed Glass Mat) rather than loose in the cell. Here is the wikipedia article on non-flooded batteries.

According to their web site:

Each Chrome Battery YTX20HL-BS High Performance Power Sports Battery, Mainenance Free and Fully Charged power sports battery is constructed with lead calcium alloy and absorbed glass mat technology, which allows a completely 'maintenance-free' operation.

Highlighting mine.

Carl, just reading info from the link. Title says AGM, specs show L/A. Granted, same in the respect of the chemical effect used, but very different.

It's to the point of where I'm suspicious of companies selling "off brand" AGM type batteries. So many places around will tell you AGM and Gel are the same or L/A and AGM are the same thng. Had a local auto supply shop tell me, when I requested an AGM that they would get it filled up and charged for me. :confused24:

I'm saying buyer be informed.

Not all AGM batteries are created equal. There are different performance levels of AGM's. The best way to tell is to compare CCa capacities. Physical spec weight of the battery is another way to compare. Thicker plates... more weight.... more CCA's. Another thing to look for is the country of manufacture. If this Chrome battery is made in China or Taiwan, save your money. For the slight difference in price the DEKA made in the USA out performs them all. There are a couple of sources for DEKA's mentiioned on this board. Tristate is one and Bohannon is the other. Both are close in their pricing. Other members have mentioned that a couple of different retailers are carrying private lable DEKA's. They also seem to match the price of DEKA. I'd want to make very sure that the private lable battery is actually DEKA or something else... this month, and that may be difficult pealing off all the private lables to make sure. That's the trouble with private lables is that they can buy from different suppliers and they all look the same. My :2cents:

Yes it does. It was almost 1:00 am when I made my post and I did not read all the way through to the 3rd page (on my screen) where it went into more detail. The first screen referred to it as Lead/Acid instead of glass mat and that threw me.

But as Condor mentioned, consider the USA made brands for better quality and over all performance.

There have been posts about AutoZone I think it was with the relabeled batteries that were actually DEKA's. Prices were very competitive.

No experience, but I wouldn't buy that Battery. They are advertising it with Yuasa's part number YTX20HLBS in the title and description but its not a Yuasa Battery, its a knock off. The misleading advertising puts up the red flag for me. In the Photo the battery number is 20HLBS. Same battery you will buy at Walmart, Costco, etc. If your going that route, at least buy it somewhere you can carry it back in if it fails.

Only Yuasa Batteries will have the full YTX20HLBS or YTX20LBS part number on the battery and the charge rate will be printed on the top of the battery. This includes batteries they manufacture for others. I just bought an Interstate battery on sale at Northern that was manufactured by Yuasa. Made in USA, Interstate label, but White screened Yuasa part numbers and charge info just like the OE battery, identical casing construction, etc. (Other than my 7 year Old OE battery was made by Yuasa in Japan)