IGNORED

Range of motor replace..........

I going to replace the motor in my 84. It is starting to have problems in second gear. Second gear still works but it jumps under hard throttle.

So sooner or later I'm going to put a new motor in her.

I really don't have the time to tear down the motor to repair the tran's. I can replace a motor in about three days.

I was wondering what range of years can I replace with?? Can a 1300 be exchanged to a 1200 frame??

I beleave after 85 they took care of the second gear problem , is this correct??

Thanks Kurt

True they have fixed the second gear in the newer models of 85. Be carefull there...there is VIN cut off that will help....anything after the certain vin should be good.

I didnt think that splitting the case was so bad once the motor was out...what do I know though.

There are plenty of tech articles on that by the way.

Go with the 1300 motor and I dont think that the carb issue will be anything. If you look in the search bar up top and type in "motor swap" it should bring up all the post that pertain to what your trying to do.

Here are the posts for it

http://venturerider.org/forum/search.php?searchid=422583

This one is for a direct swap that Frogman started

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12039&highlight=Motor+Swap

Keep your eye on Ebay. 'hess4less' in SoCal generally sells engines for cheap when he get's them in. I picked up an extra '88 1300 off Ebay from a seller in 29 Palms about a year and a half ago. It had 44,000 miles on it and came with the carbs for $300 plus fuel to run down and pick it up. When I got there he tossed in enough extra bike parts to choke a horse. Basically he cleaned out his garage with what was left after ebay. Filled up the bed of the pick-up..... I think I've sold enough to pay for the fuel down and back.....maybe?? :)