IGNORED

Remove mirror from base?

Ok, I tried a search, but using "mirror" as a search topic turns up quite a bit of threads (15,600 or so). What I want to know is, can you remove the base from the mirror w/o damaging it, AND be able to put it back together? Reason is, I have a set of mirrors but on one the rubber base cover is missing. I have another base (sans mirror) with the rubber cover. I want to put the rubber cover on the base with the mirror, but it won't fit over the base from the bottom. So my options are 1) use it without the cover, 2) cut the cover, put it on, and glue it back up, or 3) remove the mirror, put on cover, then attach mirror back to base. I'm hoping there is a way to do option #3. Or am I just SOL?

Thanks, Andrew

IIRC the screw that holds the top and bottom half together is installed from the top before the glass is glued in. I have no idea what kind of glue is used to hold the mirror in or if there is a way to remove the mirror without destroying it.

I remember reading somewhere, that a trick to tighten a loose mirror that will not hold adjustment, is to grind a slot in the exposed end of the screw on the bottom side, so that you can tighten it with a flat blade screwdriver.

Andrew,

I've never done this to a Venture mirror, but it worked on my Chevy truck.

The glass is attached with double faced foam tape. Heat the glass with a hair dryer and simultaneously pry gently with a putty knife to remove the glass. Once the glass is removed the ball joint swivel is revealed. Remove a couple screws and the mirror head can be removed from the ball.

Reinstall in reverse and use new double face tape to re-adhere the glass.

I caution again that I have not done this on the Venture, but I assume it to be similar.

Edit: I found a pic of a Venture mirror without the glass. It appears that the glass is held in by the rubber lip surrounding it. Perhaps some glue as well? Once the glass is safely removed (use the hair dryer to soften the rubber/plastic) it appears that removing three screws will enable access to the (presumed) swivel joint.

Edited by Prairiehammer