IGNORED

fork oil

There is a special tool as if you try to put it in to fast it gets a buble and air locked. Most guys I know that have done it use a syringe. If you dont have on around and you have a trctor supply they have them over in the animal health care section. That way you can measure it out too.

I was just reading a couple other posts on this service. Some suggest the 5w oil I think it was and some suggeted 10w and as high as 15w oil. We are not talking standard motor oil right? It needs to be fork oil correct?

I was just reading the shop manual today. For the 1st gen. It says 10w fork oil. No further info so I assume they mean dino base.

When I replaced my FirstGen front springs with Progressives, I used Coastal Hydraulic Jack Oil from AutoZone. Cheaper and basically the same thing as the higher priced dealer's fork oil.

Hydrualic oils are a basic 5wt. I tried it when I was playing around with the ride on my '84. Being a bigger guy at 265 lbs I went back to the 10wt for a little firmer feel.

This was all during the use of the Progressive.

It does work and it is alot cheaper. A lighter rider wanting a softer ride may be happy with it.

I have also read of guys using auto trans fluid. Seems to me that would be about the same as the jack oil. I have used it for that before. Hmm so now I gets to thinking they are making a multi vis low weight oils like a 5w15 I woulder how that would work. Could you use a syn oil?

I used the Amsoil 10w synthetic oil. IMHO since your going through the trouble to change the fluid, use the proper fluid, not an alternative. Remember, this is my opinion...yours may vary. :smile5: