IGNORED

1st gen progressive spring fine tuning

steve crossley

just checking to see what has been done by those who have installed progressive springs to fine tune the ride that you are looking for. the first test of my 86 at 1/2 inch spacer and 5.5 inches of 10 w. oil just about beat me to death. 2ed time no spacer except for thin flat washer that come with set and 6.5 inches was better but still to choppy . so i lowered the oil to 7.5 inches that a major improvement to the ride and is still good nuff to control nose dive and corners like on rails. my 86 is a small bit lighter then most ventures i ride 1 up 98 % of time with bags not more then 1/2 full and i way 201 lbs. i am betting most of you are riding mostly full dress and some times 2 up with full bags and trunk. please share what your results are to help the next rider find the happy spot . also running skydocs block off plates to dump antidives. now loving it !:hurts:

I've got my dressed '84 that I (at 275 lbs.) ride solo set up with fork oil at 6.5" below top with 10wt.. I've tried the 5 wt. but didn't like it.

I have 1/2" spacers on the tops of the springs and I've added 3 SS washers on top of that over the last couple of years. No C.L.A.S.S. pressure added unless I'm going to throwing sparks in the curves.

Also have have Earls block off plates.

I'm happy with the ride with this set up.

If I had removed as much weight (from the bike) as Steve has I'd probably be trying his oil level myself.

I have about the same setup Steve has in the 83 (Tweety) and I like it.

No Spacers, 7" oil depth, anti dives blocked, 10 wt fork oil, progressive springs #11-1112, minimum air in CLASS as it will allow.

Gary