IGNORED

New Tire Selection - Need Help

Hi Bob,

I am going to assume that the 86 came with bias ply tires so I should stick with that. Do you agree?

Ray

Well, it's never a good idea to mix radial and bias, but some people have done it. Mixing is going to make for funky handling characteristics but won't make the bike self destruct or anything. Just read the fine print on the tire side as to what type ply it is, usually it will tell somewhere. If the tire size has an "R" in it then it's a radial...

• 2 weeks later...

While looking up tire info, I keep reading something I never knew that new tires are slippery & you should always ride slower than normal and use abundant caution when first riding on brand new motorcycle tires or you risk slide and/or crash. New tires need to 'heat-cycle' a couple of times before they can begin to offer 100% of available grip. This break-in procedure is typically accomplished after the first 50 turns and 50 miles of use. Using sandpaper on a new tire in an attempt to accomplish break-in process does not work.

You learn something new every day! :detective:

Today I installed the new E3's that arrived Saturday. (I spent Sunday polishing the rims to a Chrome finish)

Installation was fairly straight forward since I have a Harbor Freight M/C jack. I did run into a few frustrating situations like I had to remove the right side light bar to clear the axle bolt, a rusted muffler clamp, and of course the washer fell when I removed the rear wheel (I had to scramble here to make sure it went between the caliper bracket & the swing arm). Took me 4 hours because I took the time to clean & grease EVERYTHING. (oh yeah & I'm old) lol - I also replaced the rear brake pads while I was at it!

The most annoying part was inserting the axle bolt back in. I had to work it a bit to get it in.

Anyway the tires are on and WHAT A DIFFERENCE These Dunlops make! Even better than my original 491s!

I took it for a quick spin, they were quiet & a comfortable ride. The Kendas I just took off her in comparison are junk! The only noise I heard was when I initially took off there was a gravely noise. I soon realized it was little pebbles off the street sticking on the tires being tossed into the front fender.

I want to thank EVERYONE who chimed in suggesting the E3s THEY ARE EXCELLENT!

BTW Ray, DO IT! you will be very happy!

Edited by cabreco

Are you close to filers in macedon? there pretty good

Not too far I guess.

I live in Sodus.

I went to Wards on Rt 21 but they are gone.

Stone's will do it for $40.

There is a guy in Irondequoit that will do it for $20

What does Filers get for mounting and balance?

Edited by rstacy

Best prices I have found have been www.motorcyclesuperstore.com. I did buy a pair of Michelin commander II for my RSV last year from Jake Wilson as they had a sale and it made them a tad cheaper. My RSV had Dunlap E-3 on it and got 10-11k on them I didnt buy the bike new so I'm guessing they were OEM tires. I liked them but at end of milage they got kind of noisy. I read good reviews on the Michlen commander II so thought they were worth a try. I had a shinko on my 900 Vulcan and it seemed like a good tire. I only put about 3k or so on it so dont know about milage.

my $.02 about the 230 shinkos is don't do it... i bought my bike last year. i had an 83 and now this 88. i put about 10,000 miles on the bike last year with iron butts and trips with my wife....it came with 6ply conti tour continentals. the previous owner was serious about having a 6 ply tire as these are and i got really good life out of them and they handled really well even up into triple digits where i try to not ride but every now and then on a wide open stretch, you catch my drift... even down to the end the conti on the back was solid...

i put a 230 shinko on the back as it was cheap and its excellent in the under 60mph world and in the twisties, but on the highway it sucks. i swear i can feel it tracking left right following the zig zag groove that is very deep in the center of the tire... crossing the pavement joints is unstable and rain grooves make it feel like its on a steel grate bridge... i tried everything and it feels crappy at speed. so it has just under a 1000 miles on it and its coming off. i'm putting another set of continentals on it. i got the new conti milestone for the rear. and a brand new front as well... the tread runs cross ways across the tire and i think that helps. all the tires the guys like on here don't seem to have a zig zag tread down the middle like this 230 shinko

i'm going back to the conti's because i know they worked... i would love to try the E3 rear and the avon venom up front as so many guys have said its a solid combo...

Best prices I have found have been www.motorcyclesuperstore.com. I did buy a pair of Michelin commander II for my RSV last year from Jake Wilson as they had a sale and it made them a tad cheaper. My RSV had Dunlap E-3 on it and got 10-11k on them I didnt buy the bike new so I'm guessing they were OEM tires. I liked them but at end of milage they got kind of noisy. I read good reviews on the Michlen commander II so thought they were worth a try. I had a shinko on my 900 Vulcan and it seemed like a good tire. I only put about 3k or so on it so dont know about milage.

Ventures didn't come with E-3's, they came with Dunlop 404's which were crappy IMHO.

When I 1st bought my MK1 it had a Dunlop E2 (491) up front and a new Kenda Challenger in the rear. It rode ok, I changed out the Dunlop because I was getting a whirring sound on leans. To match the Kenda Challenger, I bought I Kenda Kruz. The whirring stopped but she always felt harsh & noisy.

When I was changing tires (I have a spare set of rims) 1st I took off just the front Kenda, & replaced it win an E3. I took it for a test ride & I could feel the difference IMMEDIATELY! It felt much nicer & smoother.

When I swapped out the rear Kenda for the E3 I was BLOWN AWAY. I took it on the highway & it was like riding a cloud. The best analogy I can use is the 1st time you EVER drove in a Lincoln Towncar or a big Mercedes Benz.

Yes the E3's cost me 3 times more than the Kendas but IMHO well worth it, ESPECIALLY for long trips hauling my trailer! :)

When I 1st bought my MK1 it had a Dunlop E2 (491) up front and a new Kenda Challenger in the rear. It rode ok, I changed out the Dunlop because I was getting a whirring sound on leans. To match the Kenda Challenger, I bought I Kenda Kruz. The whirring stopped but she always felt harsh & noisy.

When I was changing tires (I have a spare set of rims) 1st I took off just the front Kenda, & replaced it win an E3. I took it for a test ride & I could feel the difference IMMEDIATELY! It felt much nicer & smoother.

When I swapped out the rear Kenda for the E3 I was BLOWN AWAY. I took it on the highway & it was like riding a cloud. The best analogy I can use is the 1st time you EVER drove in a Lincoln Towncar or a big Mercedes Benz.

Yes the E3's cost me 3 times more than the Kendas but IMHO well worth it, ESPECIALLY for long trips hauling my trailer! :)

I've had 2 sets of E-3's, great tires. I run them at 40/42 PSI, and found they don't flatten out and whir on corners unless I take a long hot run across the prairies, every tire squares up then. Ron

Took a trip with the wife today. (she was curious of how the bike rode with the new tires)

We took a highway run doing 70mph, then we hit the twisties & even ran over a few RR tracks.

The E3 perform flawlessly. Smooth, quiet & comfortable. I can honestly say I have never been happier with the way the bike rides.

Thank you all - AGAIN!

The wife is happy, & you know the old saying...."Happy wife, happy life!"

Edited by cabreco

• 3 weeks later...
would the shinko 230 be a decent tire? cant afford eIIIs right now btw the tires on the bike are 19 years old! dont look too bad cracked a little between the tread i know, i know got to get new ones lol. po put looks like lithium grease on the sidewalls preserved them at least no cracks anyway BUT they are old, thanks!

Yes! I just mounted a Shinko 230 Tour Master, and am very impressed with the rear 140/90-16. For the price of one EIII Dunlop, you can buy both front and rear Shinko 230's, and have some very nice tires. They handle great! I read a review, two by V-Max owners and a V65 Sabre owner that satisfied my curiosityt. I also have two Shinko 712's on an 82 Vision, and they handled so well, I took my race school on them, and had loads of fun on two tires that cost less than $100 mounted! Rolled up rubber all OVER the front tire hehe...