IGNORED

What type of headset do you like

Dale124

After dicking around for several years, waiting for the technology to catch up with the demands of a wireless motorcycle intercom, I recently took the plunge and ordered two Sena SMH5 units. In the past, when I read reviews of available units, there always seemed to be some major failing, especially with the quality of the audio, Bluetooth pairing and complex operation. So I just put it off. (Also, I used to tell people that I liked to ride with my wife because we could spend hours together without talking......it was supposed to be humorous...but wasn't always taken that way. And once, I suggested to my young son that it would be neat if we could talk while riding and he pointed out that we don't talk that much even in the car..humm!..point taken.)

My RSTD is the "2nd car", so I ride alone much of the time and I missed listening to the radio. So I ordered the FM version for me and the standard SMH5 version for my wife. In retrospect, I should have bought 2 FM units because Revzilla is offering the more hefty, optional speakers at no added cost with the FM version. But the standars speakers seem fine. The units easily installed in our full-face HTC helmets because the padding is removable and the wires are easy to conceal. The clamp which holds the main unit to the helmet is very solid and well constructed. The main unit slides in and out of this clamp for safe storage: only the speaker and mic connector remain on the helmet. I got the units with the boom mics and these are also easy to install and stay positioned. All the hardware appears heavy duty and solid. I didn't order the flagship SMH10 because they don't offer an FM option and we don't need the extra range for bike to bike communications.

We've been using these units for about a week. We've tested the rider to passenger intercom and the FM. There is a slight echo in conversations, but because these are not voice activated units, there is no lag or dropped first words. It's real, duplex, natural conversation. My wife wears a face shield, but I don't. So the real test is if she hears me clearly at highway speeds. Not only does she hear me, but she doesn't hear disturbing highway, wind or engine sounds. Pretty remarkable.

The FM version uses a downloadable utility which allows station programming on a PC. Very handy. I listen to a weak NPR station and the reception has some static, but stronger stations are very good. The volume control and station changing are intuitive and simple and not distracting from the important job of watching traffic and distracted cage drivers. It is sometimes necessary to raise or lower the volume, depending on ambient road and wind noise which is a little annoying. I haven't taken any phone calls yet and not sure I want to.

I have a longer ride coming up and will post additional impressions as warranted.

Edited by Telos

I have the J&M Basic set, and have no problems quality wise. Sound for conversation is very good, mic pickup is great. No problem to hear music, even at highway speeds, but you wouldn't think you are in a concert hall or anything. Depends on how important that is to you - me, I don't listen to a lot of music while riding. My primary uses are the intercom and the CB.

I agree with the comments about the size of the mic in the full face version. My wife and son use the full face, and there is very little extra space when helmet on/offing. I wear a 3/4 with a boom, and that works great. I find the ear pieces don't take much room inside the helmet as well.

In Canada, I've bought my 3 sets from Radioworld.ca, based out of Toronto. Being in a small town, there isn't much available at the local dealers, but you may find pricing just as competitive locally in Edmonton.

I have a laughable update on our sena smh10s

Bought the wife a new is33 Hjc helmet and in swapping the mike piece I discovered she had twisted the microphone to face INTO the wind.

No wonder hear I hear "wind noise"!:detective:

I can't wait to get out with her again with the mike facing the proper direction.

VentureFar...

I took my first incoming call this afternoon on the SMH5. It was the garage telling me my replacement tires for the SUV were in and he could mount them tomorrow, an appointment I didn't want to miss because two of the tires have nails and slow leaks. Anyway, the call was shockingly clear, apparently at his end as well as mine because he seemed to hear everything I said. We weren't at highway speed, but still, I was impressed.

Always looking for better helmet audio and communication system.

Started with J&M half helmet set. Just okay. Went to Edsets when we changed to 3/4 carbon helmets. Originals speakers were fine, but did a swap out and put in the better J&M speakers. NOW, here is the better part, use high quality in-ear canal bud with the Edsets unit, and you cut out road noise, wind noise and the volume does not have to be cranked up to hear. Only challenge is takes a little more time getting ready to ride time.

We use SHURE EC-5 studio in-ear canal buds with the Edsets for the day long trips. Awesome sound and easy on the ears.

FYI

J&M has added an adaptor with 1/8" earbud jack.

Our next investigation is Bluetooth and complete wireless. Expensive, but looking at the options.

:fingers-crossed-emo

I have the "basic" J&M headsets. I installed a cable to use phone. I am suspecting maybe the mic is not good enough grade. If I wanted to upgrade to an aero mike can I just change mikes?

Had the Scala Teamset last year, liked them quite well for riding two up, but no range for riding on seperate bikes. Just got to try out our new set of Sena SMH10 last weekend, very impressed, better sound from the speakers and the range was good, Wife was about 1/2 mile ahead and had great reception. Easier to use than the Scala set. Have yet to try out the other bluetooth features.

Just remember to point your passenger mike with the little flag facing out. If your passenger turns the mic accidentally the other way you get an earful of wind noise continuously.

Should be obvious how I know this.

VentureFar...

I have two new in box never used or taken out of box

J&M HS8154OFB (Open Face) $150 I'll pay shipping to lower 48

I bought them last week and decided to go with scala rider Q3 MultiSet I have two bikes and I can use it on either.

This headset works with:

1980 and later Honda® and J&M 5-pin audio systems

1983 and later Yamaha®, Kawasaki® and Suzuki® 5-pin audio systems

1989-1997 Harley-Davidson® 5-pin audio systems

1988-2000 Honda® GL-1500 with J&M passeng

qqqwq@hotmail.com

315 452 3240

Are they the Elite 629 series if so I interested. And is that just the headsets are does the lower cord come with them. You can email me @johngoldston@ymail.com are just reply back on here Thanks.