IGNORED

Stock Market

CaptainJoe

yea i know this isn't bike related... but hey, it's winter..........

Is anyone else getting squimish about the stock market and our current reality?

Parused two books... The Bubble and Aftershock...

Today, I pulled my retirement funds out of the stock market and put into Gov. money market and some gaurenteed no loss principle, 3% intrest adjusted quarterly bonds.

I'm not gonna loose my ass etts again like i did in 08.:mo money:

PMELAH, I am very sorry to hear that.

I've never really had extra money to invest in the stock market.

Deferrred comp was suppose to be this pre-tax, to end all, way of investing in your retirement. Back in 08, I lost about half of the value of everything that I had been paying into this retirement, for the past 20 years of my life.

Funny thing is, I had a bad feeling that things were going south, but was told not to watch the market as it will only make you crazy, and, above all else leave it alone.

Well as of today it recovered, in fact it even made a little....

Now I have that same bad feeling again.... so I moved it away from stocks, like i should have back in 08.

I'm 54 and there's no way if the stock market plunges that it will recover.

Edited by CaptainJoe

I am more concerned that the gas prices just went up another DIME today Sheesh

must be the stack market I bet !:scratchchin:

Nope....

Has everything to do with our exporting oil though.

In 2011 it was the U.S.third largest export at $129.5 BILLION which by the way was up 202% from the previous year.

http://www.worldsrichestcountries.com/top_us_exports.html

you can even see which country imported "what" from us...

tried to get 2012 figures but havent found yet...

I've attended numerous retirement seminars in last few years and at all of them they stressed the need to have a balanced investment and to have 3 to 4 years of living expenses in a secure investment. The logic being that historically and steep market downturn will recover in 3 to 4 years. So as long as you are not pulling from your stock investments you won't lose. I recently retired and I've learned that I was too heavily invested in money market type funds over the years but I've still done OK. I recall 10 or 15 years ago the market started going down so I bailed out to preserve my money. And unfortunately the market rebound was slower and I failed to get back in at the right time. I would have been money ahead if I had just left it alone.

If you have a Fidelity account they have some really good tools for retirement income planning. I've followed their advice since I retired and I'm up about 7% in 4 months. I'm through with market timing. Got my plan in place and I'm sticking to it.

Dennis

I'm a risky investor so I'm in the stock market. I have four portfolios that I track; I got a little over 14% return last year. I say let it ride.

I've seen a few folks get out at the bottom and put their money in the bank. They lost value, got scared, and got out. Those that stayed in are doing okay, now. Savings accounts aren't paying much at all. I can't find a CD that pays 1% right now.

I got 16% on one, and 15% on the other ....

Not saying That I won't get back into stocks, but, I'm going to pause and take a look see at what our economy does in the next 12 to 18 months. Getting back in won't be a problem.

After all they say sell high, buy low. Stock ar just about at an all time high.

Long term you can't even begin to beat stocks.

But, If we go into another recession I'm protected.

The stock market has highs and lows but on average it slowly goes up. I went in for long term. My stocks are generally solid low yield and slow growth but rarely go down for long. I have bonds to balance the stocks. Generally if stocks go up bonds go down and vice versa so it balances out. Even in the post 911 crash I was back up to even within 6 months. My son who had the same stocks sold at the bottom and lost half of what he had. Kids, when will they ever listen? I have a balanced portfolio and I like energy and oil stocks as this is something we will always need and there are considerable tax breaks.

The stock market has highs and lows but on average it slowly goes up. I went in for long term. My stocks are generally solid low yield and slow growth but rarely go down for long. I have bonds to balance the stocks. Generally if stocks go up bonds go down and vice versa so it balances out. Even in the post 911 crash I was back up to even within 6 months. My son who had the same stocks sold at the bottom and lost half of what he had. Kids, when will they ever listen? I have a balanced portfolio and I like energy and oil stocks as this is something we will always need and there are considerable tax breaks.

When I buy individual stocks I look for a high yield. That way if it falls I figure I get paid to wait for it to go up.

Mostly though I'm in indexes. I used to work real hard picking individual stocks and on average didn't do any better than the S&P.