IGNORED

Members of AMA, ABATE or other...

Barrycuda

Hello everyone. I am curious to know how many members are part of or were former members of AMA and or ABATE as well as any other organizations. I am interested in knowing your take, your experience both pros and cons. I am pretty naive at this point regarding the benefits and or pitfalls of these organizations. So if you can comment please do so as to why you like or prefer to no longer be associated with memberships.

Just for the record, I am not a covert spy or deep undercover in a sting operation :)

:bluesbrother: :mustache:

Just some newbie trying to make sense of all the options. I have never been part of any organization and was wondering if I should rethink my position. I am sure you guys/gals will not disappoint with your replies. Thanks again. :301:

Just some newbie trying to make sense of all the options. I have never been part of any organization and was wondering if I should rethink my position. I am sure you guys/gals will not disappoint with your replies. Thanks again. :301:

Well your part of one now :rotf::whistling:

The AMA is really strong into off-road/competition, but also a lot of street news and information. They are very strong advocates for motorcycle/motorcyclists rights both street and off-road. They have some perks (like towing, etc.) but the reason I paid for continuous 25 year active membership (now a 48 year member) was not for what they could do for me, but rather what they can do for the motorcycling community. Lobbying and defending our rights is a big thing with the AMA and what they accomplish is not just for their members, but all motorcyclists. Well deserving of your support, and the support of anyone who enjoys riding.

I am a member of the AMA for 20 years. I did Join an ABATE group here for one year and let it drop. The abate group did do a lot of poker runs for members and others in need., But those runs consisted of running from one bar to the next and spending a 1/2 to 1 hour at each. I don't mind anybody having a beer, but do so with good judgement. The next year they disbanded and I haven't heard anything out of them.

Some ABATE groups may be good ones but the district I am in they are all just a bunch of drunks.I went on one poker run they sponsored and every stop at a bar to draw a card was taking longer and longer.I am riding about half way back in a group of maybe 50 bikes and suddenly all I see are brake lights everywhere and bikes swerving all over the road,someones ball cap had blown off their bike and some dumb ass decided to stop and pick it up.Next turn off I left the group and ended my run for the day.Lucky no one went down.

I do belong to a local motorcycle club called the Chapparalls,a really good bunch of guys and gals in the club.We put on two large poker runs a year and donate a lot to different charities and one run is solely to raise money for juvenile diabetes research.Our club tries to change the publics view of what a biker is.Very few of our stops on a run are at a bar.We have a weekly supper run every Wednesday night that we ride to towns close by and eat a different resturants.Plus we have contests each year.It is only 14.00 a year for a family membership.

10 years with the AMA and like it was said before I belong less for what perks I get but more for what they do for motorcycling in general. But there's great events, a nice magazine, small discount at some place for parts and hotels, towing really helped me out once when the stator quit on my first gen. I'll be a member for a very long time

I a member of The AMA( but not active), The American Voyager Association, Star Touring and Riding, The GL1800 forum, and here of Course. I very much enjoy each one and have been blessed by the people I have met and gotten to know from being in these organization. I think alot of people like belonging to different organizations, but really just want to ride and not deal with the politics of a large/global organization, So forum based organizations are good alternatives to that. There are just as many rides and get togethers here as any of the other organization I belong to and whether they have met you before or not it is like old friends day or a family reunion when you go. Find a balance would be my recommendation.