IGNORED

Help rebuilding rear caliper

I found my rear caliper leaking so I'm going to rebuild it. I have rebuilt calipers on cars before and don't think it should be difficult. I just thought I would ask if there is anything special I should be aware of. The other question I have is the size of the cylinder bore if I have to hone them. I dont have my small hone anymore. So if I have to buy one, it would be nice to know what the size is. Thanks for the help.

I read up on some caliper stuff here a few weeks back. There was some discussion on corrosion on the pisons I think as they are aluminum. R1 or some sport bike has a stainless steel pistons of the same size. Just an option if yours are junk. Some scotch brite is handy also along with brake kleen of course. DOT 4 brake fluid remember.

I dont think I'll need to replace the pistons. I think the seals a just bad. It's been a very slow leak for the last few months. It was so slow I couldn't figure out where the fluid was going. There wasn't any evidence of a leak anywhere. Finally I saw some residue on the caliper. Further inspection showed buildup on and around the pads. I use the front break for most of my stoping power so the rear break slipping happened very slowly and wasn't noticable until it got bad. I'll clean everything up and put it back together. I got a new rotor too. 50,000 miles and counting. It was looking pretty grooved and rough so I thought it was a good idea. Merry Christmas to me!!:thumbsup2: