IGNORED

Wiring up a XM player

Mariner Fan

I have a Roady 2 XM player left over from my truck (had an in-dash player installed). So, I'm thinking that I'll use it for my bike.

I bought a mount from Hoon Hardware. Hooked the power to the cigarette style fairing plug and plugged in the stereo cable to the aux. plug in the cassette. Everything works great. Now I want to hide the wiring.

The first question I have has to do with the 1/8" stereo cable. Do you know where I can get one with a 90 degree bend like the one shown in this picture? I'd like to find one that is right angled on one side and straight on the other. I'm guessing I'll need at least 2 feet of cable to plug it inside the fairing but longer is o.k.

http://www.hoonhardware.com/assets/images/Roady.JPG

Second question. I also want to plug this into the aux plug inside the fairing. Will I need to split the connection to keep the plug for the cassette active? I've read the great tech articles about splitting the fairing and installing an Aux line splitter. Just not sure if I need to do this or not.

Third question. I'm planning to just plug the power supply into the plug in the fairing. Is there a cleaner way to do this and keep it so it's switched power?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Ok Radio Shack it the place for the 90 degree cable.

I just disconnected the aux cable from the cassette inside the fairing and ran the cable to that. I also spliced a Cigarette lighter receptacle into the aux wiring inside the fairing about 8 inches from the aux connector. I then ran the power cable into the faring and plugged it into the receptacle. You can put a splitter on if you want to but unless you plan on using the aux connection near the cassette then I wouldn't waste the time or money. I found that by putting a splitter on I ended up burning up the sat radio when I used my MP3 player and forgot to shut the radio off first. It happened several times and then I noticed a gradual static build up in the sat radio until it died all together. I pulled the split connection out before I installed my new radio. It might have been just dumb luck that it died when it did, but I don't plan on using that anyway.

If you plug the power supply into the fairing connector you will experience a lot of restarts of the radio. I had my GPS plugged into there and it shut off every time I hit a bump. That's why I recommend putting it into the fairing.

As a side note I am using a Roady 2 home antenna instead of the stock magnetic one. I have it attached to the brake reservoir with velcro. It's been pretty good so for year now. It's bigger and I am able to angle it towards the South if needed when reception gets bad.