IGNORED

Fog Plugs/Cylinders or not?

On my old honda one of the many things I did when winterizing was I always fogged the cylinders and plugs with fogging oil before putting it away for winter. I'd also sprits the top of the plugs with a little WD-40 to keep them from getting any nasty buildup. Come summer I never had a start up problem. She would just fire right up. I've done some searching on the forum and see lot of talk about draining the carbs or putting in staybli/seafoam and not draining the carbs but no mention of fogging the cylinders. I don't want to start another "to drain or not to drain" debate, so let's stay away from that topic. Question is do you fog your cylinders or Is this not something that needs to be done on the RSTD?

Thanks

To me that is all just tinkering,,, course I don't do any of those things because I'm not ready to give up riding just yet, and when I do decide to give it up for the season, the next season is almost here and I'd have to fire it up just to make sure it's ready!

On my old honda one of the many things I did when winterizing was I always fogged the cylinders and plugs with fogging oil before putting it away for winter. I'd also sprits the top of the plugs with a little WD-40 to keep them from getting any nasty buildup. Come summer I never had a start up problem. She would just fire right up. I've done some searching on the forum and see lot of talk about draining the carbs or putting in staybli/seafoam and not draining the carbs but no mention of fogging the cylinders. I don't want to start another "to drain or not to drain" debate, so let's stay away from that topic. Question is do you fog your cylinders or Is this not something that needs to be done on the RSTD?

Thanks

Too much work.

Run it once a month to get it nice and hot ... have the battery on a tender.

Add a stabiliser to the gas tank and make sure some is run through the carbs.

Mine doesn't really sit long enough to worry too much about it.

Too much work.

Run it once a month to get it nice and hot ... have the battery on a tender.

Add a stabiliser to the gas tank and make sure some is run through the carbs.

Mine doesn't really sit long enough to worry too much about it.

Not an option for me. Bike is being stored about 2.5 hrs away so once she's down for the winter she stays down till next season

If it's stored in a heated area, no fogging needed, if it freezes in the storage area I would do a lot of things: fog the engine, exhaust, stay the gas, unhook the battery, put steel wool in the exhaust pipes (to keep mice out) put smelly dryer sheets in the air intake, under the seat and in the faring(also for mice) spray all the back sides of anything chrome with chain wax, and you might as well take the load off the tires as well as well as take half the air pressure out of them.

Sorry to disappoint but I'm a self proclaimed fair weather rider. When the high for the day regularly falls below 60 I put her away. I know I'm a sissy but that's what I do. Generally only ride 6 months a year. Wife and I both hate the cold so some day we will move somewhere that I can ride closer to 10-11 months/year.

If it's stored in a heated area, no fogging needed, if it freezes in the storage area I would do a lot of things: fog the engine, exhaust, stay the gas, unhook the battery, put steel wool in the exhaust pipes (to keep mice out) put smelly dryer sheets in the air intake, under the seat and in the faring(also for mice) spray all the back sides of anything chrome with chain wax, and you might as well take the load off the tires as well as well as take half the air pressure out of them.

Not 100% sure that the barn is heated but I'm going to venture a guess that it's not. Good advice with the steel wool in the exhaust pipes, I'd not thought of that in the past. My old Honda was only a 600 so it was much smaller and I could just store it in the garage. I'd staybil the fuel, fog the cylinders, take the battery out, park it on some 1x4's to keep the tires off the concrete, cover the whole thing in a good thick layer of WD-40, and then top it off with a tarp (mostly to keep the WD-40 from getting on us if we accidentally bumped the bike. Never had any problems with mice but I always wondered if they were going to crawl up the exhaust. The steel wool idea will prevent that for sure.

Just move to the sunny south...we ride all year.....:cool10:

Best idea yet!

Mine stays in my headed shop at the car lot, so it can get started and run every few weeks. Sometimes when the roads are dry and it gets above 45, Ill take it out for a spin.