IGNORED

87/89 vr compatibility

I have an opportunity to pick up a complete, but damaged 89VR for my 87VR. I started comparing part numbers off OEM parts sites. Thought I'd throw out if any of the experts know how compatible the parts are between the two, would save me great deal of time. Thanks .. Max

The lower fork tubes and some of the anti dive internal parts are different.

86~87 the AD valve was on front of tube & 88~93 it was on side.

There are some very minor wiring differences between the two years. One was the 86~87 had noise filter chokes in the front & rear brake switch circuits. And I think the trunk mirror light was added in 88, not positive though.

Gary

• 1 month later...

new 89 ride delivered yesterday! errr parts bin. The deer made out not so good. Actually considered another winter restoral project ... the boss chimed in immediately 'not happening'.

Fairing has extensive L/S damage,at very least need replacement front fender, lower right fairing, right saddle bag, rad front shroud, crash bars and probably other components. Combined with fresh paint the cost would be prohibitive and thats providing the frame & wheels are intact.

There's an extensive parts box with a couple of electronic components I don't recognize. I'll post photos later.

Edited by Max
add image