IGNORED

GA motorcyclist runs off road & dies

RandyR

A rider from Rome Georgia ran off Ga 19 north of Dahlonega Saturday and was killed.

Copied from local news.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Missing motorcyclist found dead

The Dahlonega Nugget

The body of a missing Floyd County motorcyclist was found by local deputies Monday morning, approximately two days after he disappeared from a winding mountain roadway.

Woodrow Clemmons Jr., 61, was just north of Stonepile Gap on Highway 19 when he apparently lost control of his bike and left the roadway.

“It was a very steep part of the road where it dropped off,” said Investigator Wesley Burnett of the Lumpkin County Sheriff’s Office.

Prior to the accident, the Rome resident had been riding with a fellow biker who was in the area but reportedly didn’t witness the accident.

“They got separated from one another,” said Burnett. “[Clemmons] hadn’t returned on Saturday and on Sunday morning they had been calling different locations checking on him.”

A bulletin was soon issued to regional law enforcement officers advising them to be on the lookout for Clemmons and his Harley Davidson

Working with the phone company, LCSO investigators were able to locate the victim’s cell phone which put them within a mile the accident site.

“We went ahead and got a ping on the phone and we were able to locate him,” said Burnett.

Officials said that it appeared as though Clemmons died in the actual accident.

Woody as he is known to us who knew him was his name. He was a friend of mine and my Bosses family. I work for a father son company and Woody was their brother/uncle. Woody you will be sorely missed......

Later my friend and ride the roads of our dreams with that smile that was always on your face.

David

Woody as he is known to us who knew him was his name. He was a friend of mine and my Bosses family. I work for a father son company and Woody was their brother/uncle. Woody you will be sorely missed......

Later my friend and ride the roads of our dreams with that smile that was always on your face.

David

Same from here

Sorry to hear this Randy.

Like many here, I ride solo a lot.. Yesterday in fact I went for a long ride all by myself. The wife didnt know which direction I went because I didnt know where I was headed when I left the house..Hum..a bad idea?.

I have thought many times if something did happen to me, how in the world would she know where to start to find me sicne I am always looking for and taking roads off the beaten path..

Hum....something to think about ....

as many problems as I have with cell phones, I dont want to count on one for being my locating device :whistling:

Sorry to hear this Randy.

Like many here, I ride solo a lot.. Yesterday in fact I went for a long ride all by myself. The wife didnt know which direction I went because I didnt know where I was headed when I left the house..Hum..a bad idea?.

I have thought many times if something did happen to me, how in the world would she know where to start to find me sicne I am always looking for and taking roads off the beaten path..

Hum....something to think about ....

as many problems as I have with cell phones, I dont want to count on one for being my locating device :whistling:

Same here. There are a few places in the National Forest that I ridemy trail bike that doesn't have cell phone reception.

I read (was it Rocket)'s write up on the Spot device which allows one to be tracked by satellite and can send a distress message via satellite. I think he bought it after being stranded after an accident once. A think another one of the riders here from OK doing an Iron Butt attempt carried one recently.

I was heading back to Virginia from Pittsburgh and had the same thought as mentioned above. I had gotten misdirected and was heading home by compass direction mostly. I didn't have much of an idea where I was, just knew I was heading home. Got on an old country road with a primeval look and feel to it without any shoulders and a pretty steep drop off. Realized that I hadn't seen a car in a bit and knew that if I went off it could be days before anyone found me. Stopped at the next station and called home to let my wife know where I was and the direction I was heading. I now always make sure someone knows, at least the gereral direction I am heading and I always call my son at the end of the day to let him know where I am.