I have a 07 RSV with a stock stator.

Need to install something that will draw 5V/.5A/2.5W?

Is it possible to do this with the stock stator or will I have to upgrade.

Thinking the stock stator won't handle it, so, need one that will.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Freebird, Not running any other accessories, except for the two LED tailights on the cooler rack and the LED light bar on my spoiler. Oh... and a stebel horn... everything else stock, no electric hogs like driving lights or heated grips or heated clothing...

Was researching an article V7Goose wrote a while back and concluded that since I'm not running driving lights, heated grips(which would put one right on the edge), adding something with this little draw should be no problem at all?

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5042&highlight=voltage+guage

Edited by CaptainJoe

I have a 07 RSV with a stock stator.

Need to install something that will draw 5V/.5A/2.5W?

Is it possible to do this with the stock stator or will I have to upgrade.

Thinking the stock stator won't handle it, so, need one that will.

Any suggestions?

2.5 watts is a very minimal power draw addition.

I would think it would most likely be a safe addition.

Gary

Guest tx2sturgis

Your stock electrical system wont even know its there.

Since the stock system will handle about 100 watts extra load, youre way under that.

Yeah, but that is at 5 v. At 12 v it's going to be about three times as much for a short period of time. :whistling:

You are actually backwards on that. I am assuming that he will have to use some type of voltage reducer to get it down to the needed 5 volts. If it did indeed run on 12 volts though, the amps/watts could actually be less, not three times more.

Guest tx2sturgis

It sounds like he is going to be hooking up either a cell phone charger, a GPS, or a satellite radio.

Most of these run on 5 volts, but use a voltage reducing DC-DC adapter that runs on

12 volts( 13.6 actually).

Assuming the adapter is 50% efficient, the 2.5 watt required by the unit might cause a 5 watt total load on the bike. Still not enough to even be a concern. Of course, if you added 20 of these, then it WOULD be a concern..

Or if the bike was at or near its max (70w passing lights, 50 watts trailer lights, 35w heated vest etc) then the extra 5 watt load COULD be a deal breaker.

It sounds like he is going to be hooking up either a cell phone charger, a GPS, or a satellite radio.

Most of these run on 5 volts, but use a voltage reducing DC-DC adapter that runs on

12 volts( 13.6 actually).

Assuming the adapter is 50% efficient, the 2.5 watt required by the unit might cause a 5 watt total load on the bike. Still not enough to even be a concern. Of course, if you added 20 of these, then it WOULD be a concern..

Or if the bike was at or near its max (70w passing lights, 50 watts trailer lights, 35w heated vest etc) then the extra 5 watt load COULD be a deal breaker.

Change all those rear lights for LED, Run HID passing lights and head light (42W each including ballast) and you can get yourself a warmer vest :)