IGNORED

? about Ads that appear on website

Dragonslayer

Hey Don,

I just noticed an ad that appearred on the web site below the list of friends in the left hand column on the website. My question is: How are these ads generated? Are they approved by the website or do they appear automatically because of related content on the internet?

The reason I ask is because the ad that drew my attention was titled Conyers Area Bike Dealer and was an ad for a business that I am familiar with and have had dealings with Rockdale Cycles and Racing. All Bad.

I have posted on this site before about this business in detail and about the $1,400 rip off nightmare I had with them on my 87VR when I first owned my bike. This experience was before I found this site. I will say that the only good thing that resulted from that experience with Rockdale Cycles was that it set up a set of circumstances that eventually led me to discover this site, the best thing that has happened to me since acquiring my 87VR.

Since joining this site and the resulting knowledge and help obtained on the 1st Gens from the knowledgable members of the VentureRiders.org, and because of that bad experience with Rockdale Cycles I have adopted a policy that no one works on my bike except me and trusted VR.org friends.

In retrospect I know that had it not been for VR.org I would not have been able to afford to keep, ride, work on and maintain my 87VR. There is no way I could have afforded to pay a shop much less pay for Yamaha OEM parts for all of the work that I (with some help from others on this site) have done to my bike over the past ten years. Being able to work on the bike due to all of the helpful knowledge obtained from the members of this site.

I say all of that to say this:

1. The $12.00 per year membership dues is the best investment I have ever made in my 87VR.
  2. You can trust the advice, knowledge, experience and people involved with this site.
  3. If you too, saw the ad and were considering doing business with Rockdale Cycles, don't you will probably end up regretting it. They call them stealers instead of dealers for a reason.

But, I quess I'm preaching to the choir.

Suggestion for new forum:

"What Not to do, things, places and people to avoid"

Edited by Dragonslayer

Those ads are served by Google. They are supposed to be somewhat motorcycle related but are not always. I submitted certain keywords for the ad server but beyond that, I do not have control over the individual ads.

I appreciated the feedback and by all means, if somebody sees one that they know is not a good business, feel free to point it out.

Guest tx2sturgis

Depending on your particular choice of browser, there are some plug-ins that may or may not work that block some or all of those ads from appearing.

That doesnt mean that the server stops sending the ads to your computer, but it does mean they might be blocked from appearing on your screen.

In my experience, most ad-blocking add-ons or plug-ins tend to slow down the browser, since now your computer has to sort thru the code and figure out what is going to be displayed and what is NOT going to be displayed...so its not always a great solution.

But if those ads really bug you, its one way to deal with it.

But if those ads really bug you, its one way to deal with it.

Brian,

To be honest with you all advertising bugs me. We are constantly bombarded by advertising from all directions 24/7/365. Even though sight polution advertising and noise polution advertising bug me I can still tune them out and ignore them for the most part. It's the In Your Face advertisers that you can't ignore are the ones I believe should be outlawed.

The forms of advertising I hate the most are, in order of degree of offensiveness to me:

1. TV Commercials, In any given hour on any channel there are 4o minutes of advertising and 20 minutes of programming. How did we allow this to happen. I am appalled that they forced us into to paying for tv by making us pay the cable and satelite fees or no TV. But, then to contnue to add insult to injury by making us endure 40 minutes of advertising every hour. If I were ever elected President of the United States the first thing I would do is outlaw Advertising on TV.
  2. Telemarketing by phone and text. I know all about registering on the No-Call list But, I have religiously registered on the No Call list and have never seen any appreciable reduction in nusance telemarketing calls.
  3. Spam Half the time I spend checking my personal email is spent eliminated unsolicited Spam. Just an aggrivating waste of my time I'm forced into dealing with.

The little ads on the left of the page, in them scheme of things don't hardly bother me at all. Most of the time I just ignore them. I thought I would just speak up in this case because I do know what kind of crooks this particular company is and felt compelled to warn others on this site that might have seen the same ad. And I quess voice my opinion.

:2cents:

Excuse the Rant.:soapbox::rant:

Edited by Dragonslayer

Guest tx2sturgis
Brian,

To be honest with you all advertising bugs me.

I hear ya brother, but the truth is, those advertisers support some of what we like to do.

Without the ads on commercial tv and radio, your screen would go dark, the speakers silenced. SOMEbody has to pay for the transmitters, the towers, the employees, the FCC license, and the electricity to run it all.

Yeah I dont care for telemarketing either. I dont think ANYONE likes it. But some people apparently respond, so it works well enough to continue.

Spam is just crap thats run thru the internet as if it was a free sewer system. I think email should have been invented with some sort of fee...say 10 cents for every email you send. That might slow it down some!

Reciprocal Rant Mode off...

:whistling:

Just for smits and giggles , clear your cookies and search for an item and see what appears. Most search engines take the info from your cookies. If you search for a new helmet you will C ad's for helmets . . . If you searched for awesome motorcycles, you will see second gen's