while riding in 5th gear if I roll the throttle too hard the clutch will begin to slip, My question is how difficult is it to replace the friction discs in this bike is it something a person with regular ability can do? about how long does it take? or should I have it sent in to a shop. Bike is a 84 xvz12.

if you have over 60k on the bike you likely need new discs. But before you do this replacement. Is your clutch resrvoir full? If you answer yes...it's actually only to be 1/2 full. The fluid needs room to expand when the engine heats up said fluid. So remove some fluid. Then test drive. If not full. Then it's an hour or so job. Takes longer to clean the old gasker off than replace the discs. FYI- I do not recommend any work w/o a good manual. The OEM is very good. Note: the steel discs only go in ONE way. If memory serves me, "Sharp edge out" . ANd the fiber discs have special marks that match up to the clucth basket. This is covered in the manual. Many bike shops do not know the particulars of the Venture clutch. such as... There is special "back disc" I call it. Once you look in the manual...it's simple...for me.

This is a very common issue.

Depending on mileage, you likely just need to replace the spring.

That poor spring is 28 years old.

You can get the upgrade spring from Skydoc_17, he will also have the gaskets and if you need them friction discs and steels. The thickness of a new friction disk is 3mm (0.118 inch) and a worn out one is 2.8mm (0.111 inch) the only way to know for sure if you need new is to measure them. If it just started slipping you might be OK, if it has been slipping for a while and you have been ignoring it, you might need a whole clutch.

If this is your first time in there, expect it to take about an hour. Once you have done it it takes less than a half hour, unless you have help, then it will take exponentially longer.......

You will need a good, small torque wrench that goes down to 6 lb/ft.

It thake some extra time but it worth roughing up the plates while your in there. Just use some sand paper or wire brush to "crosshatch" the plates. Also buy a new gasket for the cover don't just use permetex. Mine would not shift correctly until I put a correct gasket back in place. It's not a hard job but follow the instructions and line up the dots on the plates.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=491 It's actually an easy and straightforward job. You can get a set of ebc springs off ebay for 14bucks shipped. I'm also in Mn. If you were to pick up the springs and friction discs you could bring the bike over and we could change the clutch. I changed out my springs for the ebc's earlier this year and have had no issues with them. When you pull it apart inspect the steels for any discoloration this will tell you if they will need to be replaced also.

This is a very common issue.

Depending on mileage, you likely just need to replace the spring.

That poor spring is 28 years old.

You can get the upgrade spring from Skydoc_17, he will also have the gaskets and if you need them friction discs and steels. The thickness of a new friction disk is 3mm (0.118 inch) and a worn out one is 2.8mm (0.111 inch) the only way to know for sure if you need new is to measure them. If it just started slipping you might be OK, if it has been slipping for a while and you have been ignoring it, you might need a whole clutch.

If this is your first time in there, expect it to take about an hour. Once you have done it it takes less than a half hour, unless you have help, then it will take exponentially longer....

:happy-emoticon::happy-emoticon::sign **** happens:

I'm gonna stick to working on 2nd Gens!! They don't complain so much!!

There are 6(5?) springs around the clutch on a 1st gen MKI, I just added a second set of springs to mine, did not replace the discs (keeps you from having to remove the clutches) and it fixes that slipping under hard throttle in 5th (or just shift down to 4th and roll it on!)