IGNORED

Rear Tire Change

First_N_Last

Yesterday morning I dropped my Nankang Rear Tire & RSV wheel off at the dealer to get it mounted. At 4:00pm they said they couldn't get it to bead & wanted to try more tomorrow. At 10am this morning they called & said that they even took it over to a car tire place to try to get it seated & failed. So then I called 6 different places just to see if they would even try to bead/seat the tire. None would try.

That was disappointing. So I set off to do it myself - bought tire irons & 2 hp air compressor from Harbour Freight - bought silicon spray, grease & dawn dish liquid.

Then I broke the seat on the side that wouldn't bead - greased & soaped the rim & tire...

tried to set the bead once - failed - broke the bead - tire ironed the spot that stuck -

tried to set second time - failed - did the same as before

third time same

forth time - beaded & seated - done

It took about 45 minutes of messing with & it popped at about 65 psi. The dealer then balanced the tire for free.

:255:

Why is nothing ever easy for me. At least now I have a nice 8 gallon 2hp oil air compressor for other things. Tire irons are nice hunks of metal for prying & banging on things when your frustrated.

What happened to the old time bike shops?

The last time I had a car tire mounted, HummingBird kindly did it for me. Thanks & too bad HB is so far away in Ohio!

JohnB

Guest scarylarry

This happens to me all the time on the rear...

I don't if brand makes a difference, but I run Avon and order from Jake Wilson..

I have 8 2x4's cut in 3 inch long....I put them thru out the tire for 24 hours if the weather and my time in not avalible and let them sit in the tire and stretch it out...

Now if the day is warm it will work outside in a 2-3 hours..

Problem is they shrink wrap them and with along them stacking or packing the tires so close they are squeeze together.....

I'm hoping that my new tire supplier can remedy this...

I can see how this could be a problem. I never had it on the bike I just traded, but it had tube type tires. I am going to need to order up a pair for the RSV so the "use the old tube" to strech is an excellent idea. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Thinking about going Darkside but am trying the new Comander II first to see what kind of wear I get out of it. I'm an aggresive rider and tow a trailer some so I wear rear tires out quick.

I have a new tire changer and did the Mich tire on it and what I did to get it to seat was put a wratchet strap around it and cranked it down in the center of the tire then started it likt that and then released it and aired it up.

I used to work at a Chevy dealership on the weekend a little because my dad ran it and I did tires and they had a tube that you put around the tire and put air in it to get it to seat so that is where I got the idea from. Not sure if this will work but give it a try with the car tire.

Try this .... works great!

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200434654_200434654

Thinking about going Darkside but am trying the new Comander II first to see what kind of wear I get out of it. I'm an aggresive rider and tow a trailer some so I wear rear tires out quick.

I have a new tire changer and did the Mich tire on it and what I did to get it to seat was put a wratchet strap around it and cranked it down in the center of the tire then started it likt that and then released it and aired it up.

I used to work at a Chevy dealership on the weekend a little because my dad ran it and I did tires and they had a tube that you put around the tire and put air in it to get it to seat so that is where I got the idea from. Not sure if this will work but give it a try with the car tire.

• 7 months later...

I run a Meskner Block K, side car tire on the front and a 135/ 16 Donut on the rear. I have over 8000 on the front and 7000 on the rear without any problems and they are barely worn. Oh I have a 86 Venture with a voyager kit. I run 35 lb. in the front and 40 lb. in the rear. WORKS FOR ME. :cool10:

I used the ratchet strap when my Avon rear tire wouldn't seat. Worked like a charm.

• 2 weeks later...