IGNORED

Mounting Lights on Fairing

I have some lights that I am thinking of mounting on the front of the fairing as passing lights

I really don't like the look of the bar for a passing light set up and don't want to mount of the deflectors or forks if I can avoid it.

I am thinking of doing the following

Mounting about 6 to 8 inches outside of headlight centered on the center horizontal plane of the headlight.

Drilling necessary hole in fairing with rubber grommet for the hole.

Making a small (about 2" x 2") metal plate with matching rubber plate side

drilling hole in plates slightly smaller than hole in fairing.

Mounting bolt for light through fairing, rubber plate, metal plate, lock washer and nut.

Taping into the headlight wiring

Thoughts, suggestions, hints cautions???

Guest KitCarson

I have my bike apart....fairing split in the garage...waiting for my remodeled light bar to be done(supposed to be Monday) and while the fairing is split I have poked around in there a lot......to begin with the little plastic pieces on the ends of the windshield bar are broken off......most likely at the factory when assembled......they are pretty cheap......and where the tape deck mounts to the fairing......has a crack starting there(drilled a small 1/8 inch hole at the end of crack to stop it)

My impression of the plastic fairing is not good......I would think to cut holes in it and mount something in it and change the stress loads at speed would cause the fairing to flex just from vibration and start to crack.

If you do do this kind of modification.......I would think you should put three or four layers of glass behind the fairing to make a solid but still flexible base ......if you can stop the vibration and wind speed from flexing the fairing, it might be okay........might is the keyword........from what I am observing, that fairing is not made real well........but all this will be someone elses worry soon..............:whistling::whistling:

Quote from above:

I would think you should put three or four layers of glass behind the fairing to make a solid but still flexible base...

Definately agree with doing this and at the same time, suggest you "glass" the metal plate to the inside of the fairing..

embed the metal plate in the glass.... :thumbsup2: