IGNORED

Bell Mag 9

jfoster

Must be thier newest model. I never saw one before. I can tell you I currently have 2 Mag 8's. The wife and I both have one. I like that it has a sunvisor on the top, it has been a big help at times when the sun is in a bad spot. A flip face shield is nice too, for the rain I seem to not be able to dodge here lately. This new helmet it appears it has a seconday "sun shield" inside. That looks neat. It looks like the shield on my Scorpion EX100. The bell is like my 3rd one I think I have had over the years. I had one of the old 3/4 standard jobs years ago and had to quit using it when all the padding finnaly fell out. My bell is more comfortable on longer trips than my shorty. I did have to "adjust" it in the forhead area as it found a high spot on my forhead and rubbed on it the first long trip I had. Some rearanging of the styrofoam with the handle of a table knife to make room and all is good. I have had to make small adjustment in most every helmet as your head aint a perfect fit to the mold they use.

I would say find a motorcycle shop that carries Bell products to get a good fit and try one on. Mine fit good like I said right out of the box. I tried a couple others HJC and maybe a Nolan I forget now and didnt fit as well. Felt like it was high siding on forhead and back of head, no contact on sides sort of. Like it was oblong shaped. But like I said molds are different. Bell has been making skid lids along time and I think the second helmet I bought was a Bell.

I wanted the mag 8, but cant find an XL in matte black. From the reviews, it seems to be a quiet helmet. I had a fulmer 3/4 with the flip up shield that was very noisy. Unfortunately, none of the dealers around my parts carry Bell helmets.

Well I would have to say you are correct. I looked for awhile and none of the places I looked had an XL in the Matte finnish. I think my second choice would be the Titanium maybe. Mine is Matte black and the wifes is white. She went white for less heat. I will tell you everytime you simply rub or bump the Matte finnish it looks like it has a scratch. It dont take much. The painted finnishes seem to be a bit more durable with the gloss. I did find some of the Mag 8 for around $80 I think. I think I found a place that had the Black Matte with the orange stripe in that size.

• 8 months later...

I tried the mag 9 for an intercom helmet and was not impressed. I found that air intakes on top of the helmet created excessive wind noise like most helmets. Granted if one is behind a large windscreen it will decrease. The ratcheting of the face shield was loud and stiff. The inner tinted shield was ok, but cheap. The cheek pads were too tight to be able to wear glasses. I would not recommend this helmet if you have to wear glasses and will probably trash mine.

Thanks Guys I just bought two in peral white I like the helment. And your right I wear glases and it's alittle tight . Better half hasn't expressed anything yet still waiting for weather to be good. So havn't tried on road yet. Got them over the winter. I am really curious about how the communication system speakers are ging to fit and how well I will be able to hear. 22 years US Navy mostly on flight deck and/or jet engine test cells, now I work on 18 wheelers big diesels so what was left of my hearing is quickly fading, (ask my daughters) And course the VA is taking their sweet time. I wore it around the house and yard to get use to it. didn't feel to bad. No headaches yet. Do wish the sunvisor came down further, and the faceshild ratchet is a little loud but still new so I'll put some light lube on the ratchet and maybe it needs a break in period on the road. I was wondering about the wind through the upper vents. But I was going to wear a skull cap under it anyway to try and protect the liner and my bald head so maybe that will help I'll let you know, I have a 88 royal so it has the tall windshield so I'm hoping most of the oncoming air blast will go over. When I had the 84 in the Philippines I used to get the wife's LONG hair in my face with the back draft. don't know if the 88 has the same issue with the taller windshield.

Thanks guys

I'm so glad I found this club I don't feel so alone with such a great bike.

I have sena intercom and the speakers fit really good. But mounting the control module on the side was a work in progress to get the mouth piece close enough and still be able to flip the inner shield down.

• 4 months later...

I just bought two Mag-9 Sena helmets for my bride and me. We really like them. This helmet has recessed foam where your glasses go so it is very comfortable wearing glasses. We bought the sena 10 Bluetooth set that is supposed to fit into the Bluetooth recess on the helmet. They don't tell you that the Bell exclusive boom mic is needed to fit the helmet. Well we bought those and now that we are set up, it works well. The sun shield works better than I thought it would. All and all we like them.

A trick I found if you wera glasses and the ear pieces fit to tightly at the bows is, put helmet on and put your glasses on. Then in a mirror take a sharpie and mark rite where the glasses and ear pieces meet. Mark it, then take a simple tie wrap and put it around the foam ear piece and compress it untill your glasses fit without the helmet moving them around. The tie wrap makes a void so when the helmet gets buffiting its not making your glasses go all over.