IGNORED

Stainless Steel Bolts

barnaclebill

I've noticed people selling stainless steel bolt kits for the ventures. Although they are bright and shiny as well as easy to maintain, I wanted to through a word of caution to those not familiar with the characteristcs of stainless. Stainless does not mix real well with aluminum and has a high possibility of galvanic corrosion. In other words the aluminum can corrode like crazy if moisture gets around the threads. Also stainlees steel is more brittle than other steels and can break under stress where carbon steels will flex or bend. Saw some on ebay and wanted to let folks know before they through their dollars out there.

Galvanic corrosion (sometimes called dissimilar metal corrosion) is the process by which the materials in contact with each other oxidizes or corrodes.

There are three conditions that “must’ exist for galvanic corrosion to occur.

1st. There must be two electrochemically dissimilar metals present

2nd. There must be an electrically conductive path between two metals

3rd. There must be a conductive path for the metal ions to move from the more anodic metal to the more cathodic metal.

IF, any one of these three conditions does not exist, galvanic corrosion will not occur.

Often, when design requires that dissimilar metals come into contact, the galvanic compatibility is managed by finishes and plating. The finishing and plating selected facilitate the dissimilar materials being in contact and protect the base materials from corrosion.

Conversely a large area of noble metal in contact with a small area of less noble will accelerate the galvanic corrosion rate.

For example it is common practice to fasten aluminum with stainless steel hardware, but aluminum hardware in a large area of stainless steel are likely to rapidly corrode.

Yeh Eck I know it is done and usually engineered into the application. I've also seen what happens to engines, pumps and structures. The galvanic process is actually based on the basic wet cell battery principal. Anode, cathode, conduction path and electrolyte. Two dissimilar metals touching creates a path and introduction of an electrolyte completes it. Coatings and other precautions can be used to disrupt the process by limiting contact or sealing out electrolytes. It can be a price to pay for shiny. My preference is to go chrome if shiny is what I want, but most times it is best to stick to the original fasteners. I just wanted folks to be aware of the possibility. Then they can study up and decide for themselves.

Same sort of problem but not to practical for the bikes.

I have used a lot of Stainless screws, bolts, nuts etc on the bike and usually where something is screwed into a steel or chrome part.

Like the bolts that hold the saddle bags onto the rails and fender. Usually anytime I have something apart I replace the bolts or whatever with stainless.

I see Ace hardware is handling chrome now in a lot of different sizes ans shapes. Bit pricey though.

Jerry

Yeh Jerry I bought some at ACE they'll get you for about 2 bucks a piece but they are nice. They have covers also. Smallest they go is 5mm in bolts and 6mm in button heads. I do use stainless on steel applications. Antisieze works wonders, but be careful using it on torqued bolts. It can affect the torque specs. Its a barrier coating that fills the void between the threads keeping out the electrolyte ie water.

Sacrificial anodes are used on boats because of the electrical current induced while traveling thru the water.

I just wanted folks to be aware of the possibility.

Then they can study up and decide for themselves.

Bill,

Hey, I understood your intent of your first post my friend, and pray mine was not taken as being offensive.

You are absolutely correct..Dissimular metals can cause corrosion.....peroid...

I use "blue" thread lock on most of my re-installed hardware.

They say "never sieze" should always be used on spark plugs, however, I never use it cause I replace mine so often..

If you want to insure that galvnic corrosion will not be a problem between SS and Aluninum, coat the screw with anything that has silicon in it. What this does is create a barrier..silicon contamination.. between the metals and ions will not transfer. For galvcanic corrosion to occur, all you need is for the two bare metals to be touching. Don't confuse Galvanic corrosion with Electrolysis which basically is the flow of electrons between anode conductors.

I'm sooo confused:confused24: . Isn't the bolt that the stainless bolt is replacing made of steel, that was screwed into aluminum. Are some of you saying that a stainless bolt is more prone to corrosion than the steel bolt its replacing? and that a chrome plated bolt is less prone. I've been using stainless bolts for some time on cars, boats and bikes with no problems. I've found that chrome plated bolts have a tendency for the plating to crack on the corners of the flats when torqued, this allows water in and allow rust to start. Polished stainless won't do this. I use locktite thread locker on bolts that I do not plan on removing anytime soon (foot pegs), and anti seize on anything that is removed on a regular basis. (brake and clutch reservoir covers) and if you use a stainless bolt and nut, you better use anti seize.

Just my 2 pennys worth