I'm posting this for a friend. 83 venture standard. Bike was not charging the battery. Tested the stator, it was grounded, only getting 5 amps ac, average on all 3 sets of white wires, tested the r/r, it also tested bad with open diodes. He installed a new stator and r/r, both ricks motorsports parts, however he got them from dennis kirk. I don't know if they are the same parts that Rick on this website sells or not. The bike is still not charging. Volt meter reads 12 volts not running, when it is running, it drops to 11.5 volts. Even when running up to 2000 rpms, battery voltage does not go above 12 volts. Just for information; he has a gel battery. I thought I read somewhere that gel batteries do not charge like flooded batteries. Does anyone here have any ideas or something else to look for?

i just put in a Ricks over the 4th. also, a Shidigen r/r. this is my third stator. the other 2 were not ricks. im getting about 14v while running now. didnt test it exactly, dont have a clamp on. i am using a AGM. even with turn signals still pulling 12v. did it having the stator coolin kit installed? it looks like Ricks writes it own part number on the stator.

Edited by reddevilmedic

Start by checking the main fuse.

Then start over at the beginning and test the NEW stator and RR. It is possible to get a new bad part. A bad stator can take out a RR and a bad RR can take out a stator.

You should be seeing 20+ volts AC between any 2 legs of the stator with the engine running. The voltage should be pretty close to the same between all legs. Check it both connected and disconnected from the RR.

Check the output side of the RR to see if you have about 14 VDC there.