IGNORED

Throttle cable

sleepy2

What day do you think you will be pulling apart and what are you doing to her? I am off Friday and might be able to drive down if you could use a hand. Far as I know I have nothing else planed except work on mine---but that can wait. Have whole front end(body-work etc) off frame to change speedo / fuel lines / put filter back on petcock(might have to get new one $90) fell off inside gas tank. Saturday may be open also. Has Wizzard brought his bike over yet?

What day do you think you will be pulling apart and what are you doing to her? I am off Friday and might be able to drive down if you could use a hand. Far as I know I have nothing else planed except work on mine---but that can wait. Have whole front end(body-work etc) off frame to change speedo / fuel lines / put filter back on petcock(might have to get new one $90) fell off inside gas tank. Saturday may be open also. Has Wizzard brought his bike over yet?

Hope to start tomorrow, Wednesday, have to see how the day progresses. Need to do 2nd gear so it's got to come all apart. The blonde is here already and now is awaiting parts for upgrades. Friday is busy so is Saturday, people need to eat I hear. But thanks, we'll keep it posted.

Hey carl, how are you doing 2nd gear? New gear replacment, gearset replacement or rework existing gears? I just replaced my gearset this past summer from an 86.

RandyA

Lets see, we take off the faring, and pull the motor and trans, turn it upside down, shake it good a couple of times and then see if it's working better, if that doesn't do it I guess we'll have to pull the pan or whatever and see what is causing all the ruckus, hammer it back in place, put in some chewing gum and some bale wire and that should fix it, oh ya after all that we'll read the instructions to see if they have it right and maybe send them some notes as to recommended upgrades to the manual.

Does it sound like I'll be alright or do you think I might use some help?

• 4 years later...

When I put my cruise on at 55mph the speed may vary. It decrease to 50mph and the cruise will disengage. So I resume and the speed increase to 55. After a short time, it decrease again. Maybe too much resistance, could I inject oil or something else to reduce friction between cable and is own casing the ? Do I have to replace all the cables ? Sorry for my english !

When I put my cruise on at 55mph the speed may vary. It decrease to 50mph and the cruise will disengage. So I resume and the speed increase to 55. After a short time, it decrease again. Maybe too much resistance, could I inject oil or something else to reduce friction between cable and is own casing the ? Do I have to replace all the cables ? Sorry for my english !

This is a 4 year old thread you are posting to.

One of the problems may be the amount of free play at the cruise bellows on the left side of the bike under the fairing. The cruise cable should only have about 1/16" free play in it. There is an adjuster in the cable to snug it up.

Gary

I am amazed at how well my 83 runs now with the 86 gears in it, I know they are the same ratios as the 83, but with that and the diaphragms all replaced it is like riding a new bike, the power is amazing, I forgot how good it feels to run through all the gears and not have to worry about it popping out of second..........after about a week went on a nice ride with Jamie and Gene aka K-Rider and opened her up and hit 100 amazingly quick..........took my breath away, it almost feels like it has a turbo there is a very noticeable kick around 4500 RPM when you drop the hammer........Its not a hard job to do, just time comsuming and you need a lot of help, which I got from friends and members..........I would do it again if I had to. I used all the gears out of the 86 when I did mine. Just make sure you follow all the steps in dis-assembly and reassembly so you wont be doing double work, Don't ask me how I know, but I do!!

Hey carl, how are you doing 2nd gear? New gear replacment, gearset replacement or rework existing gears? I just replaced my gearset this past summer from an 86.

RandyA