IGNORED

Cruise Control getting tired.

Ozlander

We just got back from a trip and the cruise control is getting a little lazy. Works, but not quite as responsive as it used to be.

Has anybody tried replacing the vacuum pump or maybe reworking it? Since it's on all the time the bike's running, it got a lot of time on it.

Merlyn,

There is no "vacuum pump". There is a vacuum servo/actuator that uses engine vacuum to modulate the throttle. Perhaps the servo/actuator diaphragm is holed? Or the throttle cable at the actuator needs adjustment?

Edited by Prairiehammer

Actually, there is a vacuum pump. It's different than an automobile unit that gets its vacuum from the intake manifold.

But, the pump doesn't run continuously. The controller only turns it on when it needs to pull the servo.

I've been trying to fix my lazy cruise for some time and have not found my problem. I've tried two different pumps and two different controllers with no effect. I've also verified that the servo doesn't leak.

Having said that, the very first thing to do is replace the vacuum hose that runs from the pump to the servo. You can get a piece at the auto parts store. If I recall correctly you can remove the front turn signals and replace the hose without pulling anything else off. The pump is behind the right signal, the servo is behind the left one.

Actually, there is a vacuum pump. It's different than an automobile unit that gets its vacuum from the intake manifold.

But, the pump doesn't run continuously. The controller only turns it on when it needs to pull the servo.

I've been trying to fix my lazy cruise for some time and have not found my problem. I've tried two different pumps and two different controllers with no effect. I've also verified that the servo doesn't leak.

Having said that, the very first thing to do is replace the vacuum hose that runs from the pump to the servo. You can get a piece at the auto parts store. If I recall correctly you can remove the front turn signals and replace the hose without pulling anything else off. The pump is behind the right signal, the servo is behind the left one.

It's got a lot of highway miles, so a lot of time. I'll check the hose out to see if it's getting soft.