IGNORED

Changing throttle cables HELP!!!!!

I’m changing out my throttle cables for longer ones to accommodate RSTD bars on my RSV. It looks like a relatively easy job until I got to the junction where the cables all come together.

I don’t want to take something apart and have some little part zing in to nowhere land.

When I got to the junction box (or whatever it is called) first thing I see is that the screws that hold the thing together are on the inboard side of the junction box.

Now do I need to take all 5 cables off the motorcycle and take the junction box to the workbench or is there some way to work with this while installed on the motorcycle? Are there any surprises or secrets that I need to be aware of?

Thanks

Kent:bang head:

I can't answer for the RSV as I have an 85 VR but mine also has the junction where all five cables (upper pull and return, lower pull and return, and cruise). I recently had to pull the junction apart to replace an upper cable. It was an outer two piece shell held together with two screws and nuts. There were two other screws that held cable retainers in place inside. BEWARE of the coiled return spring which came zipping out as I seperated the two halves (and caused a few colorful words as I tried to reassemble it). Other than the spring, it was relatively simple. Good luck and enjoy.

Nothing should pop out at you. Both the throttle & cruise control cables are attached by a bracket on each end inside the throttle rotor. Each bracket is held by a philips screw. Just loosen the throttle side and remember what number and side/route the cable came from. The rotor is numbered. The upper cable goes to position 4 on the rotor & the lower cable goes to position 3. You shouldn't have to take anything to the workbench. It could be done on the RSV. Just remember to organize your cables in the same way when installing or you'll have a problem w/ putting on the side cover. Yamaha didn't give us much room under the cover.:080402gudl_prv:

Now let me tell you about my luck and why I'm concerned about taking things a part. I was putting the extended SS clutch hose and there was say again was a tiny brass dish kind of thing that went on top of the flare nut and flared tube, well it escaped never to be seen again.

I figure I can take the throttle cables out and be back on here begging for help again. Now I really am good at mechanical things I just have really bad luck when it comes to loosing "B" clips and things. That is why I'm being cautious about doing this small task.

:bawling::crying:

I finished the throttle portion of the project :smile5: just waiting for a small part to complete the clutch hose, then I'll be all done with the RSTD bar conversion, there is a small disk thingy in the coupling between the hose that goes to the clutch master cylinder and the small metal tube behind the left air cleaner that escaped and I can't find it anywhere :crying:.

I took lots of pictures and will write a tech article if someone will tell me how.

:dancefool:

Thanks for everyones help

Kent

I finished the throttle portion of the project :smile5: just waiting for a small part to complete the clutch hose, then I'll be all done with the RSTD bar conversion, there is a small disk thingy in the coupling between the hose that goes to the clutch master cylinder and the small metal tube behind the left air cleaner that escaped and I can't find it anywhere :crying:.

I took lots of pictures and will write a tech article if someone will tell me how.

:dancefool:

Thanks for everyones help

Kent

You mean you only lost " One Thingy " !!! You did good :whistling::whistling:

Yeah one thingy is still MIA. I've taken stuff a part and even vacuumed the shop floor to try and locate it but it is really gone. I talked to Galfer to get another part mailed, that's scary, to me so I'm just waiting.:whistling::bang head: